Global Site Navigation (use tab and down arrow)

Faculty of Science
UNB Fredericton

Back to New Students

New graduate students

So, you got your Certificate of Acceptance from the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) Congratulations!  Have you met all the conditions of your acceptance (ie: official transcripts/English language scores)?

Now what?

Activate your IT account

Your UNB account 

Register for classes

You are responsible for registering every term for the duration of your graduate program.

  • MyUNB Intranet > Academics > Student Planning & Registration
  • UNB's Self-Service Registration Guide
  • Ensure you completed registration for your Thesis/Report and seminar course, if applicable
  • Monitor term deadlines for registration: SGS Important Academic Dates
  • TIP: watch for the ‘FR01A’ or ‘FR01B’ in the course name (SJ instead of FR for Saint John campus)
  • HINT: view Available Sections, then choose "Add Section to Schedule" for the appropriate term

Student ID Card (UCard)

  • UNB UCard Office is located in Marshall d'Avery Hall, 10 Mackay Drive Room 106 (bldg # 58
  • Bring your government-issued photo ID and your UNB Student ID number
  • UCard Mobile ID - iPhone & Android
  • Those who previously completed a BSc degree at UNB will need a new card, the $15 replacement fee may be waived, call the card office to inquire.

Open a bank account

  • Bring two forms of ID (drivers licence; passport; study permit) and your student ID
  • Get a blank void cheque or form from your bank that includes your account information
  • Download Confirmation of Enrolment letters

Social Insurance Number (SIN) 

  • This is not required for Canadian students or those who are self funded
  • Submit a request for an appointment with Service Canada (1133 Regent St. suite 200) to apply for your SIN. 

Financial Services

Paperwork for People & Culture (previously Human Resources)

  • IUC Physics/Admin 8 Bailey Dr, People & Culture is located in room 102 (bldg # 18)
  • Submit completed tax forms and banking information along with your Study Permit (if applicable) to Abby Shortall.   Forms can be found here. 
  • Hint: Employee ID is Student ID
  • For help with your tax forms, email
  • Submit a copy of your Study Permit to the Grad Coordinator.
  • All forms should be sent via UNB Secure File Drop, never through email. 

Set up Supervisory/Advisory committee

  • Meet with your supervisor, and set up a Supervisory/Advisory Committee (supervisor + 2-3 others)
  • Complete the Program of Study form and submit it to the Grad Coordinator
  • Review the SGS Student Supervisor Checklist with your Supervisor

Graduate Student Association (GSA)

  • Located at 676 Windsor St in the Alden Nowlan House (bldg # 40)
  • Visit the GSA site to see what services they provide
  • Register/Create a profile on WeSpeakStudent
  • Contact GSA to activate your GSA HotSpot Bus Pass (every year)
  • Inquire about the GSA Buddy Program
  • For GSA health/dental insurance & bus pass opt-out instructions and deadlines, contact 

Union of Graduate Student Workers (UGSW)

  • Located at 10 Mackay Dr, Marshall d'Avray Hall 322-1B (bldg # 58)
  • Visit the UGSW site to see what services they provide
  • If TA'ing, email to request a hardcopy membership form with your Union Package.

NB Medicare

  • International students are required to pay the Emergency Health Insurance until they provide Financial Services with their New Brunswick Medicare Card.  FAQ page.
  • New Brunswick Medicare has a three month waiting period.
  • Download Confirmation of Enrolment letters for two consecutive terms when applying.
  • Part-time students are not eligible.

International Student Advisors Office (ISAO)

All students should familiarize themselves with UNB's Services for Students Guide