Common questions


Visa information

Do I need a study permit?

International students who wish to study at the University of New Brunswick for more than six months must have a valid permit. How to get a study permit.

My study permit was issued for another university and I would now like to study at UNB

You do not have to apply for a new study permit if you change universities. However, you must notify the Government of Canada by updating the information on your GCkey account. See Canadian regulations: Applying to change conditions or extend your stay in Canada.

Do I have to apply for a new study permit if I change programs?

Not if you change universities, programs or level of studies. However, if you had a study permit for high school studies and would now like to start your university studies, you will have to apply for a new study permit.


Applying to UNB

What are the admission requirements for international students?

You have to meet three sets of requirements in order to be considered for admission:

How do I apply?

Follow our step-by-step admission guide.



How do I find tuition costs?

See our estimated full-time undergraduate tuition and fees for international students.

For exact amounts owning, please check your student account balance through e-Services once you have been admitted.

How do I pay my tuition fees and when are they due?

See Financial Services for payment options.

Students are required to pay tuition and fees at the beginning of each semester by the payment deadlines.



Are there scholarships or financial aid available?

UNB offers millions of dollars in scholarship support each year. You must apply to be considered for a scholarship.

Financial aid is available for some students. 



What are my deadlines?


What's it like to live Fredericton or Saint John

Learn about city life in Fredericton or Saint John

How do I find services for international students?

UNB is home to over 800 international students from more than 100 countries.


I need to find a place to live during my studies. Where can I start my search?

UNB strongly recommends that first year students live in residence to take advantage of the many support systems available to them on campus, including food services, student advisors, and health facilities.

Find a place to live in:


Preparing for cold weather

What is the normal voltage of electrical equipment in Canada and what shape are the plugs?

The normal voltage for Canada is 110/120V 60Hz and the plugs are rectangular.

Do I have to pay duty on electrical equipment like cameras and music players when I enter Canada?

No. The Canadian Customs office says that when you arrive in Canada and go through customs at the airport you can fill out a ‘temporary import’ card and list the items and their serial numbers so that when you leave Canada, you won’t have to pay duty on them.

Subscribe to our email newsletter

Learn more about our 100+ programs, application process and student life on UNB's two campuses.