International Postdoctoral Fellows

What you need to know to come to Canada/UNB during COVID-19

Work Permits

If you are a prospective UNB Postdoc who is neither a Canadian citizen nor a permanent resident, you must apply for a work permit in your country of residence before leaving for Fredericton or Saint John to take up your fellowship. Processing times for work permits vary by country.

Please note that the checklist for a work permit requests that you provide your offer letter and the file number provided by Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) to locate the Labour market opinion. You do not need this file number. Postdocs are HRSDC exempt and do not require HRSDC approval to conduct research/teaching activities in Canada. This exemption falls under regulation #205(c) ii, code C44. The UNB engagement/invitation letter templates have been written with careful attention to non-residents and include the required information for the CIC application.

If your work permit expires before the end of your work term is up they can normally be extended as necessary for the duration of the job offer. If your work permit expires, you will not be paid. There can be a delay in having your permit extended; however, you have “implied status” if you can demonstrate that you applied for an extension prior to the expiry date of the work permit. To show that you applied before the expiry date either pay the required fees online and retain the receipt and/or ask for a courier or mail receipt when you send your applications to the Case Processing Centre.

See our UNB Postdoctoral handbook for further information.

Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)

If you are a current UNB graduate student wishing to remain in Canada or a graduate student at any other Canadian institution looking to do Post graduate work in Canada there are a number of government programs available to you, each with its own requirements.

"The PGWPP allows students who have graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution to gain valuable Canadian work experience. Skilled Canadian work experience gained through the PGWPP helps graduates qualify for permanent residence in Canada through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC).

A work permit under the PGWPP may be issued for the length of the study program, up to a maximum of three years. A post-graduation work permit cannot be valid for longer than the student’s study program, and the study program must be a minimum of eight months in length. For example, if you graduate from a four-year degree program, you could be eligible for a three-year work permit if you meet the criteria. If you graduate from an eight-month certificate program, you would be eligible for a work permit that is valid for no more than eight months.

Applying for a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

If you are a Canadian citizen, a newcomer to Canada or a temporary resident, you need a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to work in Canada or to receive benefits and services from government programs. As a Postdoctoral Fellow at UNB you must present your Work Permit, Social Insurance Number and proof of a Canadian Bank to the Human Resources office in order to be set up in UNB’s payroll system.

To apply for a Social Insurance Number, you must complete an application form and provide an original primary document that proves your identity (i.e. passport) and status in Canada (i.e. work permit). Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) encourages you to apply for your SIN in person at an ESDC office. This process is faster and more convenient, as it does not require you to part with your valuable identity documents. The nearest ESDC offices are:

  • Fredericton: Federal Building, 633 Queen Street, Fredericton, New Brunswick
  • Saint John: 1 Agar Place, Floor 1, Saint John, New Brunswick

Hours of operation for both offices are Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm. More information related to the Social Insurance Number Program is available from ESDC.