General Postgraduate Degree Regulations | UNB

6. General postgraduate degree regulations


To continue registration as a graduate student, a candidate for a degree or diploma must maintain satisfactory academic performance at all times. A student whose academic performance is not considered satisfactory by the Dean may be required to withdraw.

A student's final standing in a course will be indicated by one of the following letter grades A+ (4.3 grade points), A (4.0), A- (3.7), B+ (3.3), B (3.0), B- (2.7), C+ (2.3), C (2.0), D (1.0), or F (0.0). Graduate credit will be given for required courses in which a grade of C or better is obtained. A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 must be maintained for required courses in order to graduate. In the calculation of this grade point average, a full year course shall be assigned twice the weight of a term course. The number of courses in which credit is required is determined by the student's GAU, subject to any overriding regulations which may exist for the particular degree.
The performance of a student who obtains a cumulative grade point average less than 3.0, or who obtains one or more grades in the range of D to F, shall be considered unsatisfactory, and appropriate action will be taken by the GAU in consultation with the Dean of Graduate Studies. Normally a student whose performance is considered unsatisfactory will be required to withdraw from their program or will be placed on probation. Where the unsatisfactory performance is due to a grade in a single course, a student may petition the SGS to repeat the course or to take a single course to replace it. Where the Dean, after consultation with the GAU, approves this petition, the mark in the repeated or replaced course will be substituted for the grade originally obtained.

In some GAUs, seminar courses are required to be completed satisfactorily, but no grade is assigned. Such courses will receive a CREDIT on the transcript.
The grade of INC (Incomplete) is awarded only on the basis of illness (supported by medical evidence), compassionate grounds, or other unusual circumstances upon the recommendation of the faculty member concerned and with the approval of the Registrar.
An INC grade which remains on a student's record by the end of the term following the submission of the INC will be converted to an F unless arrangements to extend the period of the INC grade are made to the satisfaction of the SGS.

Where a course extends beyond the normal duration (e.g. a reading course or a seminar type course covering more than one year), a grade of INP (In Progress) may be used until the course is complete.

In the event that circumstances beyond the control of the student prevent them from continuing their program, the student may apply for a leave of absence. If granted, a leave of absence is a period of time during which the student is not required to register, no fees are assessed, and the time granted is not counted toward the maximum time period permitted for degree completion. A leave of absence can be granted only by the School of Graduate Studies. The request for a leave is first made to the Director of Graduate Studies of the student's GAU after consultation with the supervisor(s). The Director will then forward the request to the Dean of Graduate Studies who will decide if the leave is to be granted. A student may normally apply for only one leave of absence during a degree program. Normally a leave of absence will not exceed 12 months.


On request, a graduate student may be granted maternity/paternity/parental leave.  Such leaves will be for the period of time specified by the student at the time of the request and will not normally exceed one year. A student may apply for a maternity/paternity/parental leave more than once. During the period of maternity/paternity/parental leave, students remain in good academic standing in their graduate program and are not required to pay graduate fees to the University

Any UNB awards (e.g., GRA, GTA, DTA, Magee Third-Century Merit Award, etc.) held by the student at the time of the request, and which otherwise would have continued during the period of the maternity/paternity/parental leave, will be deferred in full until the student returns from their leave.

Deferral of financial support provided indirectly through the university (e.g., RA funding from a supervisor’s grant or contract) must be negotiated between the student and the supervisor.  Because of the nature of this funding, any deferral provisions would be at the discretion of the grant or contract holder and the external agency providing the funds.

Deferral of awards to students from agencies external to the University (e.g., NSERC and SSHRC graduate fellowships) are governed by the deferral regulations of the awarding agency.


Graduate students in a thesis-based program, or those studying in a course-based program on a full-time basis (i.e., registered in 3 or more courses per term), may engage in additional employment for up to 520 hours annually, which translates to an average of 10-hours per week across the year. The latter provision helps to protect students’ time to work on their degree programs and avoid undue delays in degree completion. Employment can take the form of Graduate Student Teaching Assistantships (GSTA), Graduate Student Research Assistantships (GSRA), or stipend teaching. Employment may also take the form of paid work in other university offices or departments (e.g., work study, libraries, campus security, etc.). In all cases, and between all forms of employment combined, students are not permitted to work more than an average of 10-hours per work across the year.

Graduate Student Teaching Assistantship (GSTA) appointments are subject to the same average 10-hour/week regulation. If a full-time graduate student has more than one GSTA appointment, the cumulative hours of employment cannot exceed the average 10-hour weekly limit. GSTA appointments are governed by a collective agreement with the Union of Graduate Student Workers (PSAC-UGSW), the terms of which must be adhered to and can be found on the Human Resources website.

Graduate Student Research Assistantship (GSRA) appointments are subject to the same hourly work restrictions and the same collective agreement governing GSTA appointments.

Graduate students may be engaged in stipend teaching, which is subject to the same hourly work restrictions as other appointments (10-hours per week on average). Stipend teaching appointments are governed by the collective agreement on Contract Academic Employees (AUNBT-CAE) (// Responsibility for approving stipend teaching appointments for graduate students lies with the SGS. Students being considered for stipend teaching must complete the form, Part Time Employment of Graduate Students. This form must be signed by the student, Supervisor, Director of Graduate Studies, and then Department Chair and then forwarded to the SGS for final consideration and approval.

For additional information on employment opportunities and regulations consult the graduate employment section of our website.


In order to facilitate extracurricular research and professional internship opportunities for graduate students, the SGS has created the following guidelines for such internships that are not part of the graduate programme credential:
•    Consistent with the broader guidelines above, full-time graduate students are permitted outside employment for up to 520 hours per year (i.e., 10-hours per week on average) inclusive of any continuing internal employment in the form of GSTA/GSRA or stipend teaching appointments.
•    Remuneration shall be a matter of agreement between the intern and the employer.
•    Each graduate student intern must have the written approval of their supervisor(s) and the Director of Graduate Studies in the GAU with a copy of the signed approval forwarded to the SGS. Where no supervisor has been appointed, the Director of Graduate Studies in the Graduate Academic Unit (GAU) must sign approval.
•    Subject to the approval of the registrar’s office, the internship will be included on the transcript.
•    The length of an internship may vary. When a graduate student’s internship employment exceeds 520 hours per year they must transfer to part-time status in the School of Graduate Studies.