Providing support

If someone discloses to you that they have been sexually assaulted:

  • If you are a staff member, let the person know you will be providing their name and contact information to the appropriate Campus Sexual Assault Support Advocate so they can follow-up with them to offer support, accommodations, and other information (e.g. legal options, campus discipline, safety planning, etc.).
  • Campus Sexual Assault Support Advocates (CSASAs) on our Fredericton and Saint John campuses are specially trained to support students who have experienced sexual violence
  • Contact your campus CSASA and provide the name and contact information of the individual who reported being sexually assaulted as well as the date and location of the assault.
  • Supporting someone who has experienced sexual violence may be emotionally difficult for you. The CSASA’s are also available to you should you want to discuss your own reactions, questions, or challenges.

If you observe or suspect a sexual assault

  • If there is an immediate threat or need for medical treatment contact Campus Security or call 911.
  • Ensure your own safety
  • Contact your campus CSASA to provide details so they may initiate a full response to the incident which could include offering support to the individual, a Campus Security or police investigation, or other steps.
  • If needed the CSASA can arrange support for you.

For partners

Sex, trust, and intimacy can be difficult following sexual assault. Respect that they might need time to be comfortable and re-establish sexual intimacy.

For respondents

When a formal complaint of sexual assault is issued, accused students are offered support through UNB’s Student Intervention Team.