Arrival information

Join us for orientation

Exchange students are welcomed to participate in our orientation program. We invite students to attend international orientation as well as the academic and campus events during this week.

Study permits and visas

If you will be studying at UNB for less than six months, you may be exempt from having to apply for a study permit. You are permitted to apply for a study permit regardless. 

If you plan on studying for more than six months in Canada, you must apply for a study permit. You can read about the study permit rules at Citizenship & Immigration Canada (CIC), or check with the Canadian embassy in your home country. 

To enter Canada, you will need either an entry visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization.

International office staff on both campuses will be pleased to help you with immigration documents. Contact us for assistance

When should I arrive?

Exchange students should arrive at the campus in time for the orientation program or — at the latest — for the start of classes. The orientation program offers important information about studies and student life. It is also an excellent opportunity to meet new friends.

Getting to New Brunswick

When arriving from abroad, you will come through a larger airport, usually: 

  • Toronto (Pearson International Airport),
  • Montreal (Trudeau International Airport), or 
  • Halifax (Stanfield International Airport)

Airports in Saint John and Fredericton have connections to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax. 

Airport codes

  • Fredericton: YFC 
  • Saint John: YSJ 

When booking your ticket to Saint John, please ensure that you do not confuse Saint John New Brunswick with St. John's, Newfoundland. The names are almost the same, but St. John's in located in a different province!

Bus or train

It is possible to take the bus or train from Montreal or Halifax, and it is a good way of taking in some of Canada's nature and appreciate how big the country is. Learn more at Tourism New Brunswick.