Nutritional Wellness | URec | UNB

Nutritional wellness

Nutritional wellness plays an important role in maintaining an active & healthy lifestyle. As we face uncertain times, it can be difficult to uphold our routines and nutritional standards. Remind yourself that good nutrition and hydration can support the normal function of our bodies immune system.

Well-balanced diet

Canada's Food Guide is an excellent support reference for following a well-balanced diet. Some important factors to keep in mind include:

  • Include protein-rich foods, nuts & seeds, fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
  • Plan to consume three well-balanced meals every day.
  • Try to eat meals mindfully, and not in front of computers or phone screens.

80/20 rule

The 80/20 rule is a method in healthy eating that promotes balance, eating in moderation and enjoying food without guilt or regret. A balanced diet does not mean you need to eat 100% healthy foods all of the time. Consider 80% as a benchmark. The remaining 20% may include other food options that are not as healthy or nutritious.

Grocery shopping 

There are many factors that can lead to a successful grocery shopping experience, some of which include:

  • Make a list before you leave home and be sure to include the items you need to reduce time spent in the store.
  • Consider buying more frozen foods and canned goods in order to limit the amount of trips you need to make to the store.
  • Place your order online, have it delivered, or request curb-side pick up.
  • Support local! If you have the means to do so, try ordering from local farms and/or restaurants.

Overcoming challenges

Many of us have difficulty overcoming food-related challenges and struggle with eating disorders. It is common for even a slight change in routine to trigger a loss of control which can lead to further isolation. If you are struggling with an eating disorder, consider contacting the NEDIC helpline chat. Never hesitate to reach out if you need help.