Point of Interest

Soldiers' Barracks

Street Address: Queen street, Fredericton, NB

Part of the Fredericton Military Compound 

The original wooden barracks were replaced by the existing stone structure in November 1827. It was occupied by British troops from then until their departure in 1869. Then it was used as a Provincial Normal School and by other local organization until 1883 when the newly formed Infantry School Corps, a part of the Canadian Army, returned it back to a barracks. After World War One it fell into disuse until 1927 when it became a warehouse. In 1974, one barrack room was restored to illustrate its original use and the remainder of the building became the home of the Province's Archaeology Branch and its collection.