Frequently Asked Questions | UNB

Global Site Navigation (use tab and down arrow)

College of Extended Learning

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

You've got questions about the Certificate in Safety Leadership (CSL)? We've got answers! If you can't find the question or answer you're looking for, please contact us at

New students

What is the Certificate in Safety Leadership (CSL)?

The Certificate in Safety Leadership is a three-course online program designed to provide the knowledge and skill for leaders working in a safety environment.

You already have the technical savvy required to ensure your organization operates safely. This program will take you further, equipping you with the leadership knowledge and skill to influence your senior leadership and build consensus among the employee group.

Back to top

Does this program have any prerequisites?

There are no prerequisites for admission to the Certificate in Safety Leadership. If you are a leader, or an emerging leader in OHS and want to further develop your leadership capacity, this program is for you.

Back to top

What courses make up the Certificate in Safety Leadership?

The CSL is comprised of three courses, with a total of 146 hours of student engagement.

  • Understanding Your Leadership Potential - 50 hours
  • Leading People - 50 hours
  • Organizational Leadership - 46 hours

Explore CSL courses

Back to top

How much does the Certificate in Safety Leadership cost?

Each course costs $550 CAD, for a program total of $1,650 CAD. There are no texts to purchase, we provide the learning material to you in an easily downloadable and printable pdf format which you can then maintain for your future reference...just like a textbook.

There are also no additional fees, the price you see is the price you pay.

Back to top

How do I register for the Certificate in Safety Leadership?

The CSL program is open-entry and asynchronous, which means you can register and start the program at any time. Register now.

Back to top

Are there funding options for the Certificate in Safety Leadership?

Our OHS programs are not recognized by student loans as they are offered asynchronously, without fixed start and end dates (students are able to start at any time of year). However, our students have been able to obtain funding through alternate routes, including:

  • UNB Awards and Scholarships (and known Provincial funding options)
  • Student line of credit through your bank
  • RESP's (Registered Education Savings Plan) or RRSP's (Registered Retirement Savings Plan) bank - please check with your financial institution to see if your registered plan allows for this
  • Employment Insurance

Back to top

Are there sponsorship opportunities for the Certificate in Safety Leadership?

A sponsorship can take many forms. As an example, you may be sponsored by your employer, a case manager through a retraining program, or through a third-party group such as WorkSafe.

In order to send a formal invoice to your sponsor (i.e. if your employer is paying for your program), please have your sponsor fax or email a copy of your PO to our office. The PO must have the following information:

  • Student's name
  • Course name
  • Payment amount (Payment options: $550 per course or $1,650 for entire program)
  • Sponsor's mailing address
  • Sponsor's contact phone number

Back to top

How do I register if I have a sponsor?

If you have a sponsor, please register through sponsorship registration.

Once you click the "register now" link, you will be taken to a new page. Select your course(s) and then enter your personal information and method of payment. Please select "Prepaid" then click "submit". Our client services team will then follow up with you regarding the next steps.

Back to top

Current students

I've completed my course; how do I register for the next one?

If you are ready to register and submit payment for your next course you can use our online registration portal.

Register now

If you have prepaid for your courses or are sponsored, you can send an email request to our team at or you can call us at 1-888-259-4222, option 2.

Back to top

How do I request an extension?

Life happens and sometimes we just need a little more time. We have you covered! If you need extra time to complete your course you can submit an Extension Request.

Back to top

I need to get a copy of my transcript, receipt, or T2202 - how do I do that?

You can find these documents in your MyUNB Student Portal, where you will be able to access and download your unofficial transcript, receipts, and T2202 forms.

Unable to find what you're looking for or do you need a document sent to a third party? Please submit a Document Request Form.

Back to top

Whoops! My course expired. Am I still able to complete it?

Yes, of course! To reactive an expired course, please complete the Expired Course Form and our team will re-register you so you can pick up where you left off.

Back to top

I'm done! How do I get my certificate?

Congratulations! We do need to verify some information with you prior to issuing your certificate. Please fill out the Request to Graduate Form.

Back to top

I have a question for my Instructor. How do I reach them?

We've made it easy for you to connect with your instructors. In your D2L you will find your instructor's email address on the About Your Instructor page. Copy that address and then click on the Email tab in the top task bar. Your instructor will respond to you in the fashion indicated in your email (i.e. email communication or a telephone call).

Back to top