Dan Nagel, RN, PhD
Tel: (506) 648-5966
Fax: (506) 648-5784
- 1990 – RN Diploma, Misericordia Hospital School of Nursing, Edmonton, AB
- 1994 – BScN, University of Alberta, Edmonton, AB
- 2004 – MSN, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC
- 2017 – PhD, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON
Key areas of interest and expertise
- Community Health & Primary Care
- Telehealth Technology
- Nursing Education (post-secondary) & Curriculum Development
- LGBTQ Health
- Cultural Competency
- Qualitative Research Methods
Classroom and clinical teaching background
- Baccalaureate Level: Health promotion, community health nursing, population health, change management/leadership, foundations in nursing, teaching & learning
- Graduate Level: qualitative research methods, conceptual knowledge
- Nagel, D. A., Stacey, D., Momtahan, K., Gifford, W., Doucet, S., & Etowa, J. (2016). Getting a picture: A grounded theory of nurses knowing the person in a virtual environment. Journal of Holistic Nursing. doi 10.1177/0898010116645422 [published Online First, May 10, 2016]
- Nagel, D. A. & Penner, J. L. (2016). Conceptualizing telehealth in nursing practice: Advancing a conceptual model to fill a virtual gap. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 34(1), 91-104. doi 10.1177/0898010115580236 [published Online First April 9, 2015]
- Nagel, D. A., Burns, V., Tilly, C., & Aubin, D. (2015). When novice researchers adopt constructivist grounded theory: Navigating less travelled paradigmatic and methodological paths in PhD dissertation work. International Journal of Doctoral Studies, 10, 365-383.
- Nagel, D. A. (2014). Knowing the person in a virtual environment: Protocol for a grounded theory study of telehealth in nursing practice. International Journal of Arts and Sciences, 7(3), 391 – 408.
- Stacey, D., Carley, M., Kohli, J., Skrutkowski, M., Avery, J., Bazile, A. M., Court, A., Nagel, D., & Budz, D. (Spring 2014). Remote support training programs for oncology nurses in Canada: An environmental scan. Canadian Oncology Nursing Journal, 24(2), 78 - 88.
- Nagel, D. A., Pomerleau, S., & Penner, J. L. (2013). Knowing, caring and telehealth technology: ‘Going the distance’ in nursing practice. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 31(2), 102 – 110.
- Cash, P. A., Moffitt, P., Fraser, J., Grewal, S., Holmes, V., Mahara, S., Ross, C. & Nagel, D. (2013). Writing reflexively to illuminate the meanings in cultural safety. Reflexive Practice: International and Multidisciplinary Perspectives, 14(6), 825 – 839.
- Schlachta-Fairchild, L., Rocca, M., Elfrink, V., Deickman, A., Castelli, D., MacMahon, K., Vice-Pasch, D., Nagel, D., & Arnaert, A. (2014). Telehealth and Applications for Delivering Care at a Distance. In N. Staggers & R. Nelson (Eds) Informatics for Health Practitioners: An Interprofessional Approach. Publisher – Elsevier.