The promotion of teaching and learning excellence is an important goal at the University of New Brunswick (UNB). The Student Opinion Survey, or SOS, is the only official and mandatory evaluation instrument for teaching on our campuses.
The result of the SOS may be used as one indicator of teaching competence and one of the several sources of data for:
- Improvement of the quality of teaching
- Assessment for contract renewal, tenure and promotion
- Enhancement of curriculum and program offerings
Student participation is critical in an effective SOS process.
How the SOS works
- All UNB courses with four or more students are surveyed. Course exclusions apply as defined be each academic unit as approved by the Dean.
- For regular Fall and Winter Term courses, the survey period opens 3 weeks before the last day of classes.
- Instructors will have access to their SOS results after the grades are posted.
- SOS responses are anonymous.