Budgeting | Student Services | UNB

Budgeting for university

Attending university is an expensive venture. Unless you are independently wealthy or have an educational trust fund, it is essential that you have a sound financial plan and budget accordingly.

Identify the costs

The first step to developing your budget is to develop a best guess for what it will cost to attend university. Everything you will need to pay for while studying should go into your budget. You will have to take into consideration tuition and student fees, books, food, housing, transportation, clothing, etc.  

Explore available funding

Next, you need to determine all sources of funding: student loans, summer savings, part-time earnings, help from parents/family, scholarships, bursaries, trust funds, etc.

Calculate your excess or deficit

Now, subtract the two: total expenses minus total income. If your expenses exceed your income, you will have to come up with a plan to make up the difference.

Other resources

Daycare Assistance Program: The Daycare Assistance Program offers financial support to families to help them pay the daycare cost of Early Learning and Childcare Centres for children 0 to 12. The program is offered by the Department of Social Development.

Employment Insurance for New Brunswick Students: Useful information for New Brunswick Employment Insurance, the Training Skills and Development (TSD) program, and the New Brunswick Employment Insurance (NB-EI) Connect Program.

How to Save Money: Whether you are starting out as a student looking for money basics you should know, or a parent trying to find resources to fund education, we offer a list of tips and resources that may be of use to you.

New Brunswick Renewed Tuition Program: The Renewed Tuition Bursary Program is a non-repayable provincial bursary designed to make post-secondary more accessible through the provision of increased upfront financial assistance.

Repayment Assistance Plan: If you are having difficulty or are unable to make your student loan payments, you can apply to the Government of Canada and your provincial or territorial government for help.