Frequently asked questions

Please read the list of the most commonly asked questions by our prospective and current students.  If you do not see the answer to your question here, feel free to contact the Residence Life Office.

Can I do a room switch?

All room switch requests are handled by Residence Life and should be made to the Residence Life Coordinator. If there is a roommate issue, you are asked to speak with an RA first!

What are the Residence Fees?

Please click here to view key information including residence fees.

What's the difference between the suite and traditional style residence?

In the suite style residence (Mackay Residence) you are able to cook for yourself in your room. You may have a hotplate, toaster oven, toaster, etc. There is also a table and chairs, microwave and fridge provided for you and your roommate. You each have your own separate room, but share a common kitchenette and washroom facilities (shower, sink, toilet).

The traditional style residence (Dunn Residence) requires a meal plan, and you are not allowed to cook in this one. However, you are permitted to have a fridge, microwave and kettle. The vast majority of rooms are also single, and you share common bathroom facilities cleaned daily separate for males and females on each floor.

Is there Wi-Fi Internet in the rooms?

Yes there is Bell Aliant FibreOP wifi internet in the individual rooms and the study lounges in all residence have wireless to use in there.

What is my mailing address?

Your name
[insert name of residence] Rm [insert your room number here]
100 Tucker Park Rd.
Saint John, NB
E2L 4L5

What about parking for residence students?

Designated residence parking is available. If you are bringing a vehicle with you, you must purchase a parking permit at the Business Office located in Oland Hall (where you pay your other fees). Be sure to tell them you are a residence student, and make sure you receive a red parking tag.

I have a roommate problem? Who can I see to help solve it?

Part of RA training involves resolving roommate issues in a calm and effective manner. If you are experiencing any issues with your roommate please talk to your RA!

What about public transportation on campus?

Saint John City Transit operates daily to the campus. Bus #3 and #5 runs daily every 15 minutes from 6 am to 12:20 am. Schedules are reduced on holiday and weekend hours.

Is smoking permitted in Residence?

Smoking is not permitted in any residence or UNB building by any resident or their guest. There is zero tolerance for this in Residence Life and if caught will result in disciplinary action. In addition UNB Policy dictates that you are not to smoke within 10 metres of any UNB building.

Is there accommodation for married students? Students with children?

No. We do not have the facilities to provide for married students or their families or students with children.

Who is the Res Life Staff?

We have Residence Life staff available in every building and almost every floor in the Dunn residence and on every floor of the Mackay Residence to help you in whatever way possible. 

What is a Residence Contract? 

Living in Residence is considered to be a privilege and with that privilege comes certain responsibilities that must be followed by all Residence students. The Residence Contract is a document that outlines these responsibilities and is a binding agreement between Residence students and the University of New Brunswick. By signing this contract, you let us know that you are willing to accept the conditions that come with living in Residence.

Can I move in a few days earlier?

Unfortunately, due to tight time lines and limitations, we cannot accept early arrivals for any other reason other than legitimate international travel, co-op and student athlete early returners. If you are approved to come back for one of these three reasons, you will need to sign an early arrival contract which has additional stipulations regarding Orientation week that you must abide by.