After Graduation


Congratulations on the completion of your UNB degree!  As you take some time to celebrate your accomplishment, here are a few things that you may want to consider.

Staying in Canada

If you have an Off-Campus Work Permit (OCWP) you are eligible to begin working full-time as soon as you have received confirmation that you have completed your degree program.  You are permitted to continue working full-time with the OCWP while your Post-Graduation Work Permit is processed.  It may take up to two months to receive your Post Graduation Work Permit so if you do not currently have an OCWP you may want to apply for one so you can begin working full-time as soon as your degree is complete. 

Post Graduation Work Permit and Immigration to Canada:  If you plan to stay in Canada and work/live after you graduate, you will need to apply for a Post Graduation Work Permit - be sure to read to the bottom of the page for newly added resources on Permanent Residence, which you can also access at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada website.

Looking for Work: Don't forget that even as a UNB Alumnus you have access to all the resources of the UNB Employment Center.  Check postings online or access services like advice on resume writing or interview preparation at the center on campus. 

Health Insurance

Your UNB Health Insurance:  It is important to consider that your UNB Health Insurance is not valid when you are finished your courses.  For example, if you finish exams in April and plan to graduate in May, your UNB Health Coverage expires at the end of April. 

Health Insurance in New Brunswick:  If you have a Post Graduation Work Permit (valid for at least a year) and you are living in New Brunswick, you are eligible to apply for New Brunswick Medicare.  As soon as you receive your Post-Graduation Work Permit you should submit an application for New Brunswick Medicare

Health Insurance in Ontario:  If you have a Post Graduation Work Permit and a full-time job in Ontario, you are eligible to receive the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP).

Health Insurance in Alberta:  If you have a Post Graduation Work Permit and you are living in Alberta, you are eligible to receive the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP). There is a three month waiting period for this insurance after you receive your Post Graduation Work Permit. 

Temporary Health Insurance:  It is recommended that all students make arrangements for temporary health insurance for the time after their university health insurance expires and before they either leave the country, or are eligible for a provincial health insurance plan.  Check out "Student Guard" for temporary health insurance rates.

UNB Alumni

Now that you have completed your degree you are automatically a member of the UNB Associated Alumni and you will be added to the UNB Alumni Database.  Check out the UNB Alumni website for information on services available to you, and how to stay connected with the UNB community around the world.