Nicol Entrepreneurial Award
Congratulations to the 2012 National Nicol Entrepreneurial Award Winners from the University of New Brunswick
2012-2013 Nicol Entrepreneurial Award
The Competition will be open to the public, however seating is limited. Arrive early to obtain the best seating, entry will not be permitted once the pitches have begun.
Friday, November 30, 2012 at 1:00 PM until 3:00 PM
The Wu Conference Centre, UNB Fredericton Campus
What's at stake?
Teams will compete for a $5,000 1st place cash prize. The winning team will also have a chance to compete in the national finals held in Ottawa; March, 2013
Am I Eligible?
The competition is open to full-time students, or teams of students, in any course of study in any faculty at any participating university across Canada. The competition consists of two stages – an initial local competition held by each participating university and a subsequent national final competition held in Ottawa.
The National Final is held in Ottawa in March – the local competitions are held prior to this
To enter the competition, teams must prepare and submit a plan for a proposed new business of which they are to be the primary creators and in which they will be actively involved in key management positions, or a plan for the expansion of an existing business they are currently operating.
The team must confirm that:
- The plan and the business it describes is their original creation, and that they have the right to present this plan in open competition
- They have not previously submitted this plan to any other national “business plan” or equivalent competition
- If selected to compete in the national final they will be willing to travel to Ottawa for the national final competition
Teams can consist from 1-3 students, the majority of whom must be full-time undergraduates at the participating university. More particularly –
- If the team has only one member, he/she must be an undergraduate at the participating university.
- If the team has two members, at least one – including the team leader -- must be an undergraduate at the participating university. The second can be an undergraduate or graduate student at any Canadian university, or have graduated from a Canadian university within the past two years.
- If the team has three members, at least two – including the team leader -- must be undergraduates at the participating university. The third can be an undergraduate or graduate student at any Canadian university, or have graduated from a Canadian university within the past two years.
The plans of the first-place teams from all of the local competitions will be reviewed by a national selection panel and six teams will be selected as National Finalists.
These finalist teams, along with their faculty advisor, will then be brought to Ottawa to compete in the national final, with travel and living expenses paid.
At the national final, each team will have 30 minutes to present their plan to a panel of judges – a 15-minute formal presentation followed by a 15-minute Q+A period. All team presentations are open to the public and to other participating teams.
The judges will select a single team as the winner of the Nicol Entrepreneurship Award. There is no other ranking of the finalist teams.
- Registration Closes and Submissions Due: November 22, 2012 at 4:00pm (Atlantic Time)
- Submissions: Electronic copy of your 5-7 page summary and an electronic copy of the full business plan
- All submissions must be uploaded to the UNB Nicol Award website
For more information on the Nicol Entrepreneurial Award, or registration details, contact us at: