Welcome to UNB's Department of Sociology
We’re delighted that you have chosen to check out the website of the Department of Sociology at the University of New Brunswick, one of Canada’s oldest universities. We offer a rich and diversified undergraduate program for majors and honours in Sociology. Our students enter varied occupations and many seek further study after completion of their undergraduate degrees here. If you are thinking about majoring in sociology, our undergraduate advisor, Constanza Torri, would be happy to help you.
Based upon the expertise of our faculty, we offer a range of courses in Sociology and varied approaches for sociological research to our graduate students. If you are thinking about applying for graduate studies in our department, our Director of Graduate Studies would be pleased to offer you information and assistance.
Here are a few things you might like to know about our department:
- Many of our graduate students work with faculty members on their funded research programs;
- Our department has been endowed with the Nels Anderson Research Funds, offering students the opportunity to apply for a wide variety of monies to help defray the costs of their research, and conference travel;
- Many of our faculty are involved in collaborative research initiatives across disciplines, across the country, and internationally;
- Within the last six years, members of our department have brought in over 3 million dollars of research funds, authored (or edited) 16 books, published dozens of articles in refereed journals, travelled to over 25 countries worldwide discussing the results of their research, and offered hundreds of workshops to professionals in many different walks of life.
- Just this past year, 9 MA and PhD students graduated from our department.
Check us out! We are a department with a growing reputation and a solid commitment to our students!
Luc Theriault, Ph.D
Professor & Acting Chair
Tilley Hall Room16
Department of Sociology