Fredericton Historic Buildings
As a Centennial project, the University brought to the campus and restored a one-room New Brunswick schoolhouse, located more than a hundred years at Burden in York County. The schoolhouse, located at the King’s College Road entrance, was officially opened in May 1967.
McCord Hall located at the east entrance of the Sir Howard Douglas Hall (Old Arts Building), was once used as the University’s ice house. The nineteenth-century structure was restored in 1963 and named in honour of David T.W. McCord, the distinguished writer and former executive director of the Harvard University Fund Council, and honorary graduate of UNB.
The Neville Homestead
The Neville Homestead, a small white clapboard house on the east side of the campus, dates back to 1876. It was the home of Fred Neville, University groundskeeper for 42 years, who lived in the house from his birth in 1878 to his death in 1969. The Neville family first settled the land in 1850 with a purchase from Hon. William Odell. In its 84th year, the house was moved a short distance to its present location to make way for a new men’s residence, named to honour Mr. Neville. The Homestead now houses the Student Employment Service.
Sir Howard Douglas Hall
The building that housed King’s College is now known as the Sir Howard Douglas Hall (Old Arts Building) and is the oldest university building in Canada still functioning as a viable part of a university campus. In the Great Hall are portraits of past president and two memorial stained glass windows. Immediately to the left of the front entrance is the Edwin Jacob Chapel, named in memory of Vice-President and Principal of King’s College. A permanent display illustrating the history of the University is located in the Great Hall, including the cornerstone of the building, laid in 1826 and excavated in 1978 prior to the sesquicentennial celebrations.
William Brydone Jack Observatory
The Observatory, located at the east entrance to the Sir Howard Douglas Hall (Old Arts Building), was built in 1851 through the efforts of William Brydone Jack , Professor of Mathematics and Natural Philosophy at King’s College and later President of UNB. Constructed of wood, it has an octagonal tower especially designed to house its equatorial telescope. It now houses a small museum.
Richard J. Currie Center
The Richard J. Currie Center is named after UNB’s Chancellor () a UNB alumnus, and generous supporter of the University.
The five story 139,000 square foot building is among the single largest construction project in Fredericton’s History. Officially opened in October 2011 the Currie Center was designed to address the integrated wellness needs of the University of New Brunswick and the greater Fredericton Community. It provides facilities for fitness, recreation and high-performance athletics as well as new space for community research activities and services.