Traveling Outside of Canada

Get Immunized

Ensure you are up to date on your immunizations when traveling outside of Canada.  Don't wait, investigate now so you have plenty of time to protect yourself.

For general information contact World Health or Public Health

Traveling abroad, local work applications and scholarships will sometimes require a medical which requires up-to-date immunizations.  Don't wait - This can be a lengthy process depending on your medical history and where you are traveling to.

Here are some tips to help you navigate travel immunizations

1.  The first and most important thing you need to do is track down your immunization records.  Your parents or family doctor might have these records.  If you went to school in Canada, you can contact public health in your home province in order to obtain record of any immunization you received during school.  The number for New Brunswick residents is 506-453-5200. If you don’t have any records you will need to be immunized for everything recommended in Canada from birth, potentially at your cost. This process can take several months to complete and can be expensive.

2.  Once you have all available records, speak to a Travel Clinic or Pharmacist to determine what immunizations are required for the area you are traveling to.  (UNB has a privately owned & operated pharmacy on campus located inside the UNB bookstore at 29 Dineen Drive.  You can also check for additional pharmacies in the surrounding area)

3.  There are a few different options available to you once you know what immunizations are required.

If you used a Travel Clinic: they will likely administer the vaccinations required while you are there (fees vary). 

If you went to the Pharmacist: most pharmacists can prescribe the vaccinations you require (fees may apply).  There is a small list of vaccinations that the pharmacist cannot prescribe, but can provide you with a list of what you need.  You will need to book an appointment with a practitioner to get a vaccine prescription.  Medicare does not cover these types of appointments, at Student Health a $45 fee (cash only) will apply.

Nursing:  Nursing at the UNB Student Health Centre can administer any of the prescribed vaccinations, with a $10 fee (cash only).  You can come as a walk in during business hours, no appointment necessary.  Leave enough time for a mandatory 15min wait AFTER your injection. Remember the clinic closes daily from 11:30 to 1pm.