Transferring & Earning Credit | UNB

Global Site Navigation (use tab and down arrow)

College of Extended Learning

Transferring and earning credit

Transferring credit toward your BIS

From UNB: University credits with a grade of C (GPA 2.0) or better, earned in any UNB program, will transfer to the BIS. These credits could go towards your elective requirement or your minor requirement, depending on which minor you choose.

From institutions other than UNB: University credits with a grade of C (GPA 2.0) or better, up to a maximum of 75 credit hours, may be applied to your BIS degree. You may apply 12 of these credit hours towards your minor.

From colleges: College credit will be reviewed and assessed, based on the transcript and course outlines you provide in your application submission. Graduates of Holland College Police Science Program (or a comparable program elsewhere in Canada) may apply 30 credit hours towards their BIS elective requirement.

Earning credit toward your BIS

Your informal learning experiences may be considered for credit toward your BIS degree through a Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). These experiences may include:

  • Work training and work experience
  • Professional development
  • Volunteering
  • Self-directed learning

On average, students who apply for credit through PLA earn 6 to 9 credit hours towards the program, depending on the type of learning and how it relates to the BIS.