Travelling outside of Canada

The Government of Canada's Travel Advice and Advisories is the official source of destination-specific travel information. They give you important advice to help you to make informed decisions and to travel safely while you are abroad. 

No matter where you plan to travel, make sure you check the Travel Advice and Advisories page for your destination twice: once when you are planning your trip, and again shortly before you leave. Safety and security conditions may change between the date you book your travel and your departure date.

Travel vaccinations

Ensure you are up to date on all of your immunizations when travelling outside of Canada.  Don't wait, this can be a lengthy process depending on your medical history and where you are travelling to. Investigate early so you have plenty of time to protect yourself. 


You should be fully vaccinated by completing a COVID-19 vaccine series in Canada or abroad at least 14 days before travelling. Be aware that although you are better protected against serious illness if you are vaccinated, you may still be at risk of infection from the virus that causes COVID-19.

If you’re unvaccinated, you remain at increased risk of being infected with and spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 when travelling internationally. You should continue avoiding non-essential travel to all destinations.

Regardless of your COVID-19 vaccination status:

  • stay informed of COVID-19 activity at your destination, which can vary significantly and change quickly from one country to another and within regions of the country.
  • use personal protective measures (like wearing a mask, washing hands and maintaining physical distancing where possible)
  • follow any additional local public health measures while travelling
  • avoid all cruise ship travel outside of Canada
  • check Canadian travel requirements

Immunization records

The first and most important thing you need to do before travelling is track down your immunization records. Your parents, family doctor, employer, or school might have a copy of these. 

If you are not able to retrieve any of your immunization records, you will need to be immunized for everything recommended in Canada from birth, potentially at your own cost. This process can take several months to complete and can be expensive.

Where to get immunized

Routine and travel immunizations are available at the following locations (fees vary):

  • Travel Clinics: Trained staff provide advice about travel alerts and travel vaccinations.
  • Pharmacies: Most pharmacists can prescribe, administer, and provide advice about the vaccinations you require for travel.  
Did you know? - UNB has a privately owned & operated pharmacy on campus. It is located inside the UNB Bookstore at 29 Dineen Drive.
  • Student Health Centre: There is a small list of vaccinations that can only be prescribed by a practitioner.  Medicare does not cover these types of appointments, at Student Health a $45 fee (cash or e-transfer only) will apply. 
    • The nurses at the Health Centre can administer any prescribed vaccinations for a $10 fee / per injection (cash or e-transfer only). 
    • Contact the Student Health Centre for more information.

Source: Government of CanadaWorld Health Organization