Around the Campus | 1946-1965 | UNB
University of New Brunswick est.1785

Global Site Navigation (use tab and down arrow)

100th Anniversary Edition

Alumni News From Up the Hill

Around the Campus | 1946-1965

ALUMNI NEWS MAGAZINE | 100th Anniversary Edition


VOL. 5, NO. 2 APRIL 1951  

The degree of doctor of philosophy will soon be available at U.N.B., Dr. A. W. Trueman announced recently. For the present, the new course will be available in only one special field of study, organic chemistry. The first students will commence their work this summer. 

The course will embrace a three year program of study and research for students who have a bachelor's degree and who are accepted. It will be possible to qualify for a master's degree at the end of the first year.  

The new course will be supervised by Dr. Frank J. Toole, dean of graduate studies and head of the department of chemistry. Dr. Karel Wiesner, noted chemist, will direct the research of the Ph.D. candidates and Dr. A. P. Stuart '39, Dr. J.M. Los and Dr. D. J. Whittingham '44 will be the other instructors.  

No other university in the Maritimes offers a Ph.D. degree in course. Master's degrees are also offered by the departments of biology, classics, economics, education, English, geology. 


VOL. 4, NO. 1 OCTOBER 1949  

Good progress has been made with the construction of the Beaverbrook wing to the University of New Brunswick library. At press-time, the walls were up and the roof was on, the copper work was almost complete, and the contractor said that the windows would be fitted and the staging would be taken down by the middle of October at the latest. Work on the interior has also proceeded. 


VOL. 7, NO. 2 JANUARY 1953  

The Memorial Student Centre Building Committee, of which Charles E. Weyman '43 and '46 is chairman, and the architects, Stewart and Howell, continue to make progress on the U.N.B. War Memorial.   

At a meeting on October 28th, the alumni endorsed a report of the committee and approved the preliminary plans of the building. Similar action was taken at the semi-annual meeting of the Alumnae Society which was held in Milltown on October 18th.  
Since these meetings certain suggestions with respect to details of the plans which were made by members of the societies have been included by the committee with the approval of the council of the Associated Alumni and the executive of the Alumnae Society.   

A model of the proposed building has also been constructed. Two pictures of it are shown here. This model has been approved by the Senate of the University, the council of the Associated Alumni and the executive of the Alumnae Society.   

As a result of this progress the architects are presently engaged on the preparation of working drawings and specifications. It is expected that the call for tenders, the award of the contract and the start of construction will take place in the spring.  The site which has been chosen for the Memorial Student Centre is directly up the hill from the Lady Beaverbrook gymnasium and across College Hill road from the Memorial Hall.  

Both red and buff coloured bricks will be used in the construction of the building. The trim will be in cement or concrete. The roof will be flat but not all on one level. The entrances and the windows are particularly well designed.   

Among the facilities which will be provided in the Memorial Student Centre are cafeteria, banquet room, conference room, photography rooms and an all-purpose room on the first floor; a common room with fireplaces, a co-ed lounge, a music room, S.R.C. and general office space, Brunswickan office, Year Book office and Alumni Offices on the second floor. A memorial wall the full height and a book of remembrance will emphasize the nature of the building.   

The members of Mr. Weyman's committee, which was commended for its work, are as follows: J. G. Blaine Pugh '15, president of the Associated Alumni, Muriel Farris Baird '27, president of the Alumnae Society, Mary Caughey Hashey '31, Margaret Fraser Arnott '37,  Shirley Pugh Weyman '42, Kenneth B. Brown '31, Horace M. Block '37, Dr. J. Miles Gibson '17 and '19, Dr. Guy D. Scovil '25, Capt. Robert A. MacDiarmid '48 and Jack Murray '39.  


VOL. 14, NO. 1 JANUARY 1960  

A digital computer, or electronic brain, has been acquired by the University. Dr. Colin B. MacKay, U.N.B. president, seated, has the multi-thousand dollar machine described to him by Dana Wasson, '56, assistant professor of electrical engineering. Standing from left to right are Dr. R. L. Rosenberg, head of the department of mathematics, Prof. Wasson and Dr. R. B. Banerji, formerly of Calcutta, who has joined the faculty of the university. Dr. Banerji is in charge of a computation centre, the services of which are available to industry, government departments and organizations like A.P.E.C. 


VOL. 9, NO. 1 OCTOBER 1954  

This picture was taken at the first meeting of the executive of the Alumnae Society this year. Front Row: Barbara Cowan '51, secretary; Rebecca Watson '41, treasurer; and Margaret Anne Morrison MacKinnon '37. Back Row: Elizabeth Hawkins '27; Mavis Downey McNichol '32; Muriel Farris Baird '27; Elizabeth Baird Pritchard '32; Dr. Althea Warren '39, vice-president, and Edith McLeod '20, president.  

Absent: Lillian Corbett Gibson '11, vice-president.


VOL. 8, NO. 1 OCTOBER 1953  

When the academic year started in September, Beaverbrook House, a magnificent mansion in Saint John, opened its doors for the first time to law students.  

Purchased in 1951 by Lord Beaverbrook, the edifice, which was the home of the late F.P. Starr, is situated on high ground at the corner of Carleton and Coburg Streets. Its location is ideal, its view of the city, harbour, and Bay of Fundy, admirable.  

The building can accommodate up to 75 students. It contains class rooms, several libraries, lounges and offices.  

A collection of 6000 valuable law books, another remarkable gift from Lord Beaverbrook, is a proud possession of the school. The Dean of Law is the Honourable W. H. Harrison 'OO, Justice of the Supreme Court of New Brunswick. George A. McAllister '40 and William F. Ryan '41 are the two full-time professors. In addition, there are several part-time lecturers. Frank Cullinan, a third year student from Saint John, is president of the Law Society. 


VOL. 19, NO. 2 SUMMER 1965  

UNB took one of the most important steps in its new development program Encaenia morning when Mr. K.C. Irving turned the sod for the new 628,313 volume library. The new building is to be located above the Forestry and Geology Building, across from the new gates entering the university from Kings College Road, and below St. Thomas University.  

The Bonar Law-Bennett Library has long been too small for the present needs of the university. It was built to hold 120,000 books and now has 142,000. The minimum figure for number of places in a library compared to number of students is 25%, although there are many colleges that manage 40%. This would be one chair for every or even for every 2 and 1/2 students. UNB has one for every 25 students. This is a little misleading since it includes undergraduates from Teachers’ College and have their own library in their building on campus. However the Bonar Law-Bennett Library is open to them and provides a wider selection of background material for some of the courses that they take at UNB. 

Read more of 100th anniversary edition