Money matters


The average textbook is $150. Average cost for a student taking 5 courses: $500 - $900 per term

Academic Fees  |  Residence Fees

Calculating your living expenses

Average living cost per month (off-campus, one person, room with shared facilities): $900 to $1200

Accommodation (Rent)
Room with shared kitchen facilities $350-575/month
1 bedroom apartment with kitchen facilities $450-800/month
2 bedroom apartment  $600-1250/month
Transportation in Saint John
City Bus--per trip  $2.75
City Bus--per month  $60
Taxis--per trip within the city  $7-14
Groceries $400-550/month
Fast Food  $10/meal
Restaurant $30-45/meal
Jeans $50-140 each
T-Shirts $20-80 each 
Shirts $60-100 each
Winter coat  $80-200
Winter boots $80-150
Cell phone $40-100/month
Landline $45-50/month
Internet $50/month
Cable $50-100/month

 *All costs are estimated

Paying your fees

To confirm your admission to UNB, and to register for a room in a UNB residence, you will need to submit a deposit (check admissions letter for deposit amounts). Although UNB does not accept credit card payment for regular fees, you can still use a credit card to pay your deposit, or follow the instructions below.

International students at UNB can now make their tuition and residence payments online.

Or if you want to transfer money to Canada using a wire transfer, you may wire money to your UNB student account, and then transfer it to your own bank account after you arrive.

** Make sure that your bank includes your name and student number so that the university can direct the money into your student account.

** The university and all banks are closed for some holidays in September (Labour Day) and December (Christmas, Boxing Day, New Year's Day), if you are arriving during these months check holiday times and be sure to bring enough money with you to cover your food/accommodation/transportation expenses for these days.

For more information, see the financial advisor.

Working part-time while you study

A number of international students work on-campus and off-campus (in Fredericton) while they complete their degree. You are not legally permitted to work more than 20 hours/week and students who are studying full-time find that they only have time to work 10 hrs/week.  

On-campus jobs: Jobs on-campus are not always easy to find and are usually not high paying. Minimum wage is $10/hour. Most international students work in the campus meal hall or for the campus police. On-campus jobs are hard to find, but if you manage to get a job you may be able to make enough to cover your rent (approximately $400/month.)

Off-campus jobs: To work off-campus you must have a special work permit. You can only apply for this work permit once you have been studying full-time at the university for at least six months. If you arrive in September and study full-time you are eligible to apply for a work permit the following March. Again, jobs are not always easy to find and students usually do not earn more than $400/month.

Family support and the Canadian government

If you are an international students with a spouse and child(ren) here in Canada, you are eligible for financial assistance from the Canadian Government. Below you will find a description of three Canadian government programs that may benefit you and your family. 

The Canada Child Tax Benefit is a tax-free, monthly payment made to eligible families to help them with the cost of raising children under age 18. The amount of this benefit is calculated using the information you provide on your income tax returns each year, but can be readjusted during the year in cases of a change to family size or marital status.

For international student families to be eligible you must:

  • be the primary caregivers of a child under age 18
  • be a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months
  • Have a Social Insurance Number or Individual Tax Number

In order to apply, both parents must have an Social Insurance Number. If you and your spouse do not have a Social Insurance Number you must both apply for an Individual Tax Number. Please note: You must send a notorized copy of your passport in with your application. The International Student Advisor, Bonnie Sudul, can assist you with this. Contact us to make an appointment.

Once you have your Social Insurance Number, or have received your Individual Tax Number, you may complete your application. Learn more about the Canada Child Tax Benefit eligibility and application process.

The Universal Child Care Benefit is a taxable, $100 monthly payment to families for each child under the age of six to help cover the cost of child care. This benefit helps you pay for whatever child-care method you choose, including a nanny, babysitter, child care centre, or stay-at-home parent, no matter the cost. If you are already receiving the Child Tax Benefit, you will automatically receive the Universal Child Care Benefit.

Income tax returns

Who should complete a Canadian Income Tax Return? Anyone who is living/studying in Canada should file an Income Tax Return each year.  If you are in Canada with your spouse you must both complete an Income Tax Return. 

When do you need to complete your Canadian Income Tax? Income Tax Returns for the previous year are due at the end of April. For example, 2012 Income Tax Returns are due at the end of April 2013. There is no penalty for applying late, unless you owe the government money.

What documents do you need to complete your Canadian Income Tax?

  • T4 (only if you worked): If you worked the previous year, you will receive a document in the mail called a T4. This is a record of how much you earned and what taxes were deducted.  If you worked in the previous year and you have not received a T4 by the end of March, contact your employer (they may not have your correct mailing address.)
  • Tuition Statement (T2202): All students should have this document. You must download it from the Financial Tab of your E-Services account. 
  • Previous Notice of Assessment: If you completed your income tax the previous year you will have received a Notice of Assessment in the mail.

How can you get help completing your Canadian Income Tax? The Faculty of Business, Canada Revenue Agency and International Student Services partner each year to assist students in completing their Income Tax Returns. The session is held in March or April and is advertises through Student e-News, emails and posters.

Why should you complete Canadian Income Tax? All students who complete their Income Tax Returns receive some money back from the Canadian Government. Even if you have not worked, you are eligible to receive a GST Rebate. To continue to receive this GST Rebate each year, you must complete your Income Tax Return every year. If you have worked, and paid income tax, you may also get a portion of this tax back.

To receive the Canada Child Tax Benefit, you must file an Income Tax Return each year.

Also, if you plan to stay in Canada and work full-time after you graduate you will need to complete your income tax each year. If you did not complete Income Tax Returns as a student, you will have to go back and complete each year you have missed. This could be very costly!

Employment for spouses

If you have arrived in Canada on a visitor permit, come to the International Student Advisor's Office to find out how you can apply for an open work permit. Contact us for more information.

After you receive your work permit: Once you have your work permit you are eligible to receive a Social Insurance Number.  You will need this number in order to be paid in Canada, but it is also useful to have when you do your annual income tax. You can apply for a Social Insurance Number at the Canada Service Centre located at 1 Agar Place, Saint John.

Job hunting assistance: The Saint John Multicultural and Newcomers Resource Centre will provide free employment assistance to spouses of international students.  Services provided by the employment counselors include:

  • Current labour market information
  • Links to local and regional employers
  • Strategic tools to assist you with a successful job search
  • Insights into the Canadian work culture