UNB Saint John Counselling Services
The counsellors' primary goal is to facilitate the personal, social, academic, and career development of our university students. We offer both personal counselling and career counselling.
Consultations and referrals are available to faculty and staff to consult about concerns that pertain to the welfare of students. Please read the Faculty and Staff Quick Guide to Helping Students to learn more.
Outreach programming may be available to provide activities or educational workshops for various groups on a variety of topics.
Counselling Services offers free, individual, confidential counselling. You can bring any issue here that is on your mind. If one of the counsellors can't help with your particular situations, they will try to direct you to someone who can. When you make an appointment with a counsellor, he or she will:
- Listen to your concerns (what's going on that brings you here?)
- Help you identify your goals (where do you want to get to and how will you know you're there?)
- Help you develop a plan (how to get from 1 to 2)
How to make an appointment
Fall 2020 update
Our counsellors will be working full-time both remotely and on campus. A counsellor will be on campus from Mondays -Thursdays, 8:15 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., and available remotely on Fridays.
Due to COVID-19, counselling will be done virtually through Microsoft Teams.
Fall 2020 groups
More information on COVID-19
Helpful resources on coping during COVID-19:
- How to keep moving through the unknown
- Managing the COVID-19 pandemic panic
- Mental health and coping during COVID-19
- Mental health and the COVID-19 Pandemic
Real Campus: Real Campus is a service that is provided to all UNBSJ students that is an extension of student services. It allows students to have 24/7 support and professional care that is instantly accessible. Services include but are not limited to: mental health counselling, crisis counselling, personal counselling, career and life coaching, virtual group counselling and mindfulness programs.
Services can be accessed by:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 1-877-390-7325 (REAL)
- Online at www.realcampus.ca/unb
- Real Campus blog: https://realcampus.ca/articles/
Outside normal operating hours, or in situations requiring immediate assistance, help with a crisis or an emergency is available through:
- CHIMO Help Line Inc. (Crisis Line 1-800-667-5005)
- Mobile Mental Health Crisis Services (1-888-811-3664)