In 2002, CNER was awarded a 5 year project funded by the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency's (ACOA) Atlantic Innovation Fund (AIF). The project was titled “The Process System Corrosion Mitigation Technology Project”. As a result of this project, CNER developed two new corrosion monitors - the ECPro™ and the HEPro™.
From 2008 to 2013, CNER formed a partnership with NB Power called the Learning Partnership. This enormously successful partnership was created to enhance nuclear industry preparedness for students through NB Power's Employee Growth and Evolution Strategy.
In December 2010, CNER was awarded another 3.5 year AIF project funded by ACOA. The project, entitled “Smart Instrumentation for the Energy Sector”, involved the design, development and industrial field demonstrations on novel condition monitors; the initial development of the HPPro sensor was an outcome of this project.
Also in December 2010, CNER was reorganized as a research institute within UNB. The new institute retains the corporation's history, continued client relationships and continues to maintain the expertise of its personnel. As a research institute within the university, CNER can now leverage a broader array of university researchers' expertise and services.
Current and Ongoing Projects
- ARC Nuclear Canada Inc and UNB have partnered for the advancement of ARC Nuclear's ARC-100 technology development and engineering studies.
- Moltex Energy and CNER have partnered in the nuclear research cluster that is working on research and development on small modular reactor technology (SMR's).
- Utilize HEPro at a Nuclear Facility during hot conditioning in the Primary Heat Transport System (PHTS) as a tool to monitor the corrosion rate of feeder pipes and to give an indication of the progression and success of PHTS hot conditioning process. (With the HEPro and the online corrosion measurements, significant time savings on the critical path to plant restart is achievable)
- Point Lepreau has an HEPro – a hydrogen effusion probe – for monitoring feeder pipe corrosion in the primary heat transport system.
- Fundamental studies of hydrogen migration through steels and the design of the collection system for the second-generation hydrogen effusion probe – the HPPro.
- Verification tests are underway at CNER to support the HPPro design.
- CNER is testing the effects of combined impurities on steam boiler corrosion.
- The effects of Film-Forming was evaluated in one of our test loops.
- Corrosion and radiation chemistry test relevant to the End Shield cooling system.
- Tests that evaluate chemical corrosion and material degredation in supercritical water.