The University of New Brunswick Saint John welcomes applications for the position of Electrician with Facilities Management. This is a 1-year term, full-time (40 hours per week) position with the CUPE employee group. The position is funded by the University Budget with a salary range of $23.57 - $29.61 per hour.
The electrician is responsible for ensuring the proper maintenance and efficient operation of properties within his/her assigned portfolio. The electrician is responsible for the journeyman-level installation, maintenance, testing and repair of all electrical systems including wiring, equipment, and fixtures. Responsible for performance of skilled work in accordance with accepted trade practices and relevant safety codes. The nature of the work is such that the incumbent may be required to perform the duties of other classifications within the department, on a as needed basis.
- Respond to incoming Service Orders in a professional and timely manner.
- Assess work required and either complete work or coordinate with supervisor to ensure efficient completion of work, as necessary.
- Install, map, maintain, test, and repair/replace all manner of electrical systems and associated components - including wiring, equipment, appliances, and fixtures - in accordance with accepted trade practices and relevant safety codes as required.
- Install, test, maintain, and repair emergency power systems (generators/UPS), surveillance systems, fire alarm systems, access control systems, and the campus network as required.
- Respond to emergency calls as required (evenings/weekends).
- Support electrical store systems to ensure adequate supplies are available regularly.
- Contribute to departmental Preventative Maintenance Program as required.
- Perform maintenance on related tools and equipment as required.
- Ensure timely and efficient completion of all necessary documentation.
- Promote the functions of the Department of Facilities Management. Communicate effectively and professionally with university student, faculty, and staff.
- Report maintenance problems and building component failures to Building Operations Manager.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Journeyman Electrician Trade Certificate/Red Seal Certified.
- 5+ years relevant electrical experience in a commercial setting.
- BOMI Systems Maintenance Technician Certificate is considered an asset.
- WHIMIS certificate, must be completed once in position. Workplace Standard First Aid.
- Must possess a mechanical aptitude and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to communicate/work in a team environment.
- Ability to anticipate and deal with problems and issues in a persistent manner.
- Ability to demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and work cooperatively and effectively.
- Ability to bring excellence by focusing efforts on anticipating and meeting client needs.
- Strong decision-making ability, self-directed and proactive.
- Some weekend/evenings required.
Closing date for applications is January 16, 2023 at 4:30 PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.