The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Secretary PL5 with the Department of Sociology. This is a continuing full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with the SALAC employee group. The position is funded by the University Budget with a salary range of $22.02 - $26.05 per hour.
This position is accountable to the Chair of Sociology for the management of all aspects of the administrative operation of the general office.
- Facilitate and coordinate all aspects of departmental administration through supervisory role.
- Implement new procedures, when necessary, establish work priorities and ensure deadlines are met.
- Analyze previous and future expenditures. Prepare a viable annual budget for approval by Chair.
- Manage accounts and records. Oversee financial transactions for various operational and research budgets.
- Manage all Nels Anderson accounts.
- Advise status of various departmental accounts. Provide recommendations regarding expenditures.
- Initiate and prepare contracts for part-time faculty members and stipend instructors.
- Facilitate and write grant applications for the procurement of funds for the department.
- Coordinate the Chair's schedule and proactively prepare materials required by the Chair.
- Coordinate and act as a liaison to Chair for all information between university administration and external sources.
- Assist the Chair with faculty hiring process. Arrange advertising, acknowledge applications, coordinate travel arrangements/itineraries, and compile receipts for reimbursement.
- Compile information, maintain databases, and assist faculty and researchers with Research Ranking Exercise and Quality Assurance Reviews.
- Prepare outdated files for archiving or appropriate disposal.
- Coordinate timetable for summer session/extension courses. Gather, organize, and submit materials related to the department course offerings.
- Liaise with CEL for course offerings, publication of calendars, course submissions, and online staffing submissions.
- Manage the information flow between the Dean of Arts Office and the Department of Sociology.
- Coordinate and schedule department meetings and ensure that adequate minutes are recorded.
- Maintain departmental schedule of events and provide reminders to ensure deadlines are met.
- Keep up to date with accounting systems/policies and maintain contact with Financial Services.
- Coordinate the preparation of and signing by faculty of annual teaching assignments.
- Provide backup support for Graduate Secretary when necessary.
- Other related duties as required.
- Business/secretarial diploma with 7 years of experience in an office environment or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Experience in working in a team environment.
- Ability to prioritize/complete multiple tasks and work independently.
- Demonstrated initiative, organization, and time management skills.
- Experience and knowledge of fundamental accounting principles.
- Familiarity with University Policies and Procedures. Knowledge of the Faculty of Arts would be an asset.
- Good working knowledge of MS Office products. Knowledge of Colleague and Informer would be an asset.
Closing date for applications is October 6, 2021 4:30PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.