The University of New Brunswick Saint John welcomes applications for the position of Library Assistant PL4 with UNB Libraries. This is a continuing full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with the CUPE employee group. The position is funded by the University Budget with a salary range of $18.42 - $22.64 per hour.
Under the direction of the Head Librarian on the Saint John Campus, the Library Assistant PL4 works with the Technical Services Department on acquisitions, document delivery, and digitization. Other responsibilities include serving library patrons at the Library Services Desk, providing basic research help, and assisting with programming/outreach activities and the library's social media accounts.
- Handle intercampus loans and returns.
- Receive incoming document delivery materials daily and notify patrons when their material is available.
- Receive document delivery requests from external libraries for material from our collection and prepare for mail/courier or scan material as appropriate.
- Promptly respond to patron renewal requests.
- Assist with basic cataloguing and digitization.
- Receive new books and process invoices for each order.
- Keep abreast of all new procedures in the department. Apply library policies.
- Provide friendly, welcoming service at the Desk in person, by telephone, and by e-mail.
- Circulate library materials, provide basic research help, assist with printing/scanning/copying and basic IT needs, provide directions and general information, and refer people to appropriate service points in the Commons and throughout the campus.
- Responsible for opening and closing the Hans W. Klohn Commons, as scheduled.
- Accept payments for overdue fines, lost books, document deliveries, printing, etc.
- Ensure confidentiality of borrower records.
- Develop and implement plans for library outreach activities and events, in conjunction with colleagues.
- Assist with the library's social media accounts.
- Serve on campus and bi-campus committees and projects as assigned. Other duties as assigned.
- An undergraduate university degree or library technician diploma.
- Experience working in public service and with event planning/programming and promotions.
- Experience working directly with university students would be an asset.
- Demonstrated reliability, adaptability, and flexibility.
- Strong public services orientation and skills in addressing the needs with discretion, patience, and courtesy.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer technology and digital literacy skills.
- Ability to work independently as well as with a team, along with high attention to detail.
- Standing, lifting, walking, bending is required.
- Must be able to adjust schedule seasonally and to work some evenings and weekends.
Closing date for applications is July 12, 2021 4:00PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.