The University of New Brunswick Saint John welcomes applications for the position of Counseling Therapist & Campus Sexual Assault Advocate with Student Services. This is a continuing full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with a salary range of $57,140 - $74.284 per annum (July 1, 2021 range).
Counselling Services is a component of Student Services. This counselling position will offer primarily personal counselling, as well as serve as the Campus Sexual Assault Support Advocate. As Campus Sexual Assault Advocate, the position will advocate for, support and counsel around sexual assault matters and function as recommended first point of contact or referral for any member of the university community who has experienced a sexual assault.
NOTE: This position was previously advertised and closed on July 9, 2021. Previous applicants need not re-apply. All applications will be re-submitted in the competition.
- Provide individual counselling sessions to students at UNB Saint John, Saint John College and DMNB.
- Develop therapeutic interventions for students, especially for those issues that impact learning and academic performance.
- Develop outreach programming to campus community to raise awareness of mental health and mental health literacy.
- Liaise with other campus professionals and community agencies.
- Maintain confidential records of activities.
- Provide emergency, crisis intervention services after working hours, as necessary.
- Function as recommended first point-of-contact or referral for any member of the university community who has experienced a sexual assault.
- Provide initial and ongoing support, including confidential consultation and assistance in accessing other services and resources both on and off campus.
- Maintain confidential records of sexual assault and assist in the creation of educational resources and policy and procedure updates.
- Work in collaboration with other campus and university resources to support the needs of anyone who has experienced a sexual assault.
- Be knowledgeable about the UNB Sexual Assault Policy and Procedures. Compile statistical reports for the UNB Task Force on Campus Sexual Assault.
- Provide training for faculty and staff groups as appropriate on sexual assault prevention, mental health, etc.
- Timely respond to emails, book appointments, return phone calls and submit web page content.
- Consult and support faculty and staff about student concerns as appropriate.
- Participate on university committees and groups as appropriate in support of students and the university.
- Participate as a member of the UNB Task Force on Campus Sexual Assault and the Campus Sexual Assault Response Team.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the UNB sexual assault policy and procedures.
- Master's degree in Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology. Assessment courses to administer career development assessments. Must be a certified Canadian Counsellor (C.C.C.).
- At least 5 years' experience in a counselling environment.
- Experience in sexual assault counselling and policy, and proven knowledge of career development and career counselling.
- Experience in a post-secondary setting is an asset.
- Licensed Counselling Therapist registration (LCT) is an asset.
Closing date for applications is July 28, 2021 4:00PM.
This position is covered by the terms and conditions contained in the Collective Agreement negotiated between UNB and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551.
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.