The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Contracts Research Specialist with the Centre for Nuclear Energy Research. This is a 2-year term full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with a salary range of $63,896 - $83,065 per annum (July 1st range).
The Centre for Nuclear Energy Research is a constituted research institute at UNB that was established in 1991. CNER is an active player in the local, national and international nuclear power industry and performs academic and contract research at our laboratory facilities on the UNBF Campus as well as provide contract consulting services for power generating utilities within the industry.
This is a highly specialized position contributing to the expansion of CNER's operations and consulting activities. Reporting to the Director, the Contracts Research Specialist is an essential member of CNER and works on ongoing R&D projects as a software quality assurance (SQA) specialist, research engineer and project manager. The Contracts Research Specialist works closely with external clients and may be seconded to their location for a large duration of their time. They also work with other CNER staff members and with CNER and Chemical Engineering research students.
- Responsible for external client projects associated with ongoing contract research work surrounding software quality assurance (SQA) for nuclear utilities.
- Work closely with the Director on meeting project milestones and deliverables for a variety of collaborative research projects with government and industrial partners.
- Provide certified data for the preparation of industry technical reports, project updates for industrial clients and research papers for accredited scientific journals.
- Advisory role over graduate students in the laboratory, organize and carry out research projects and prepare technical reports.
- Assist CNER researchers, staff and students in setting up SQA for our projects and computer codes.
- Assist in the acquisition and commissioning of new equipment in CNER.
- MSc in Nuclear Engineering, Chemical Engineering or related discipline.
- P.Eng. or eligibility to become P.Eng.
- Extensive knowledge in nuclear reactor physics, reactor safety assessments, computer codes and system modelling.
- Minimum of 3 years' experience in a nuclear plant setting with qualification in specific nuclear plant processes.
- Extensive background in SQA - specifically related to nuclear energy application.
- Knowledge and experience with nuclear-level quality assurance programs and processes.
Closing date for applications is July 8, 2021 4:00PM.
This position is covered by the terms and conditions contained in the Collective Agreement negotiated between UNB and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551.
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.