The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Security Patrol with Security & Traffic. This is a continuing full-time (40 hours per week) position with the GLTA employee group. The position is funded by the University Budget with a salary range of $20.85 - $23.31 per hour.
The Security Patrol position is accountable to the Patrol Supervisor and Operations Supervisor for the security of University property as well as the safety and security of staff, faculty, students and visitors while on campus.
- Complete occurrence reports in electronic format on initial response to complaints and occurrences and complete follow up investigations/action as required.
- Respond to various emergencies as it relates to personal safety and asset protection.
- Conduct inspections of University buildings for safety and fire hazards, mechanical problems or other occurrences such as water leaks, etc. which would result in loss or damage to property.
- Maintain scheduled room reservations and tend to the physical locking of doors and security of buildings.
- Perform desk duties, monitor the computerized alarm system and security cameras, answer emergency phone, maintain key control, and perform telephone and radio dispatch duties.
- Routine walkthroughs in UNB/STU residences during late evening and early morning hours.
- Ensure that only authorized persons are admitted to specific labs, offices and classrooms after hours.
- Question suspicious persons in buildings and on campus as to their intent and purpose of being on the UNB site.
- Perform traffic enforcement duties and crowd control duties as required.
- Prepare a duty report at completion of shift.
- Secure the scene of occurrences which involve action by other agencies such as the Fire and Police Departments.
- Assist Student Campus Patrol as needed and assist Res. Life Coordinators and Proctors within the Residence System.
- Minimum of High School diploma/GED certificate. Completion of a related security training course(s) from a community college, Police Foundations College, and/or a law enforcement/criminal justice organization along with recent security experience in a University/educational environment would be beneficial.
- Must already possess a valid driver's license, Workplace Standard First Aid (with C.P.R & AED), and WHMIS certificates. Certification in these areas, along with having a clean criminal record must be maintained as a condition of employment.
- Good interpersonal skills, integrity, dependability, tact and diplomacy are essential.
- Excellent comprehension of the English language is essential while oral communication in French is a desirable.
- A good understanding of computers and computer software is preferred while knowledge of CCTV systems would be beneficial. To meet this requirement, ability to complete electronic occurrence reports is required.
- Some mechanical aptitude is preferred.
- The physical demands require the Security Patrol person to be physically fit, in good health and mentally alert.
- The UNB Security and Safety Department operates on a 24 hour a day basis during the week requiring the incumbent to work various irregular shifts on a rotating basis while noting the majority of shifts are late evenings to early morning.
Closing date for applications is January 22, 2021 4:30PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.