The University of New Brunswick Saint John welcomes applications for the position of Painter PL5 with Facilities Management. This is a continuing full-time (40 hours per week) position with the CUPE employee group. The position is funded by the University Budget with a salary range of $20.25 - $25.92 per hour.
The Painter is responsible for journey-level surface preparation and application of paints, stains and related products on buildings, building components, furniture, floors and similar surfaces. They are responsible for performance skilled work in accordance with accepted trade practices and relevant safety codes.
- Work will vary, depending on the task, and maybe inside or outside under varying conditions. The work may involve working at high levels using scaffolding, ladders, or mechanical lifts.
- Application of finishes to exterior and interior surfaces, trimmings, and fixtures of building and equipment with a brush, roller, spray-gun, sponge or rag.
- Preparation of surfaces for painting, repainting, or decorating.
- Erect scaffolding, ladders, or other equipment to safety standards for working at heights.
- Measure, match, install or re-install, and trim paper and other fabrics or materials.
- Safe use of all tools and equipment required in the painter and decorator occupation.
- Prepare job estimates as to the quantity of labour and materials required to complete the job.
- Maintain inventory of paint-related materials, ensuring sufficient supplies to patch-repair surfaces and paint work as required.
- Contribute to departmental Preventative Maintenance Program, as required or directed.
- Contribute to departmental Hazardous Materials Disposal and Removal Plan as required or directed.
- Maintenance of related tools, equipment and materials as required.
- Elementary duties of another trade to expedite completion of the assigned task.
- Application of safety precautions as may be required to ensure minimum hazard to self and others.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Formal basic education to meet Journeyman standards for the Painter and Decorator Trade.
- Must possess a valid current Journeyman Certificate to practice the Painting and Decorating Trade in the Province of New Brunswick.
- Three years or more of diversified experience at a journeyman level in the painting and decorating trade.
- An equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience may be considered and experience must be working under a licensed painter.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with the National Building Code, and the New Brunswick Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- WHMIS certification, if not already held, must be completed once in position.
- Training in safe lifting practices, if not already held, training must be completed once in position.
- Ability to read and interpret drawings and to work with sketches and diagrams.
- Ability to openly communicate in a compelling, honest, persuasive and articulate manner.
- Ability to focus efforts on achieving quality results, consistent with departmental vision.
- Ability to bring excellence to internal and external clients by focusing efforts on anticipating and meeting their needs.
- Must have the physical capacity to carry out the functions of the trade including the ability, on occasion, to lift heavy objects, and work from ladders or in cramped quarters or confined spaces.
- Strong decision-making ability, self-directed and proactive.
- Valid driver's license.
Closing date for applications is January 15, 2021 4:30PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.