The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Steamfitter/Pipefitter with Facilities Management. This is a 6-month term, full-time (40 hours per week) position. The position is funded by the University Budget with a salary of $24.54 per hour.
Under general supervision by the CHP Superintendent, installs and maintains the steam heating systems and equipment in UNB Fredericton and St. Thomas University buildings and tunnels.
**Note: This job was previously advertised and closed December 16, 2020. Previous applicants need not re-apply. All applications will be re-submitted in the competition.
- Work alone, or as a member of a crew, employed on maintenance and construction. The nature of the work will vary depending on the task. May be in or out of doors under varying conditions, at heights or in confined spaces.
- Install, repair and maintain steam heating systems and equipment.
- Carry out daily preventative and corrective maintenance duties.
- Assist with maintenance of equipment located throughout campus steam distribution system, such as: testing and servicing steam traps and heat exchangers.
- Prepare job estimates as to the labour and materials required to complete the job.
- Allocate and supervise the work of Trades Helpers and/or Labourers.
- Perform elementary duties of another trade in order to expedite completion of the assigned task.
- Responsible for the application of safety precautions as may be required to ensure minimum hazard to self and others. Must be thoroughly familiar with the applicable codes and regulations as they apply to the Steamfitting/Pipefitting trade and the NB Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Responsible for the care and preservation of assigned tools and equipment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Formal basic education as required by the Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labour to meet the Journeyman standard for the Steamfitting/Pipefitting Trade.
- Must possess a current, valid license to practice the Steamfitting/Pipefitting trade registered with the Province of New Brunswick.
- 2 years or more diversified experience at the Journeyman level in the Steamfitting/Pipefitting Trade with concentration on maintenance.
- Ability to read and interpret plans and specifications and to be able to work from sketches and diagrams.
- Proven ability to work with other trades people and the versatility in handling and using the tools of the trade.
- Must have the physical capacity to carry out the functions of the trade, including the ability, on occasion, to lift heavy objects, work from ladders or in cramped quarters.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision and direction.
Closing date for applications is March 31, 2021 4:30 PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.