The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Manager of Harriet Irving Research Commons with UNB Libraries. This is a continuing full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with a salary range of $50,357 - $65,463 per annum.
The Harriet Irving Research Commons (RC) is a modern, interdisciplinary, research-driven learning environment to further innovation, scholarship, and research at UNB. Reporting to the Head of the Research Commons, the Manager is responsible for day-to-day operations in the research commons and provides operational oversight for strategic initiatives and programming.
- Day-to-day management of the Research Commons (RC) including staff scheduling, training, and supervision, technology implementation and maintenance, events, and marketing/promotion.
- Work in direct consultation with students to envision & develop their research commons projects.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures, in collaboration with colleagues, for effectively meeting Research Commons' objectives.
- Provide oversight of liaison librarians use of RC spaces for teaching, training, and research.
- Negotiate the use of library facilities with internal and external groups.
- Recruit, train and evaluate all new staff FT and PT employees in the RC.
- Coordinate staff involvement in special programmes in close consultation with the RC Head.
- Develop and manage student staff programs including funding and partnership opportunities.
- Liaise with the Systems Group, Reference Services, the Digital Scholarship Centre, and Library Administration to coordinate efforts critical to the success of day-to-day operations and ongoing technology planning.
- Research, evaluate, and test new technologies in fulfilling RC's pedagogical and research mandates.
- Develop and maintain current policies for individual space and technology use.
- Advise on and implement assessment measures for gauging the impact of spaces, services, and programming in the RC.
- Capture data related to the RC and analyze to determine trends and patterns.
- Recommend policy changes to Library Board and Dean of Libraries.
- Act as first point of contact for RC related activities.
- Represent RC interests at Library Board, Public Services Committee, and other relevant internal and external committees.
- Participate in and contribute to relevant professional development.
- Undergraduate degree and at least five years of experience in a student-oriented university or academic library setting.
- At least two years of relevant supervisory experience. Demonstrated successful experience working with a variety of patrons/cultural groups and in conflict resolution.
- Experience with emerging technologies.
- Experience with student research, at a variety of levels.
- Teaching and presentation experience.
- This position may be required to be available outside regular office hours.
- Familiarity with University Employee Collective agreements, New Brunswick Employment & Labour Laws and Human Resources is helpful.
Closing date for applications is December 4, 2020 4:30PM.
This position is covered by the terms and conditions contained in the Collective Agreement negotiated between UNB and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551.
The University of New Brunswick and PSAC/PTSU Local 60551 are committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.