The University of New Brunswick Fredericton welcomes applications for the position of Manager of Access Services with UNB Libraries. This is a continuing full-time (36.25 hours per week) position with the APT employee group. The position is funded by the University Budget and the salary range is commensurate on qualifications and experience.
Reporting to the Director of Learning & Research Services, this position is responsible for Access Services in three locations: Harriet Irving Library, Engineering & Computer Science Library and Science & Forestry Library. Access Services is often the first point of contact for those visiting UNB Libraries, and provides 300 hours a week of dynamic, front-line service to a diverse community of users. The Manager oversees the day-to-day operations across the three libraries, and provides leadership and direction to the unit.
- Plan, develop and manage the operations of Access Services (currently Circulation, Reserves, Document Delivery), exercising discretion and critical thinking.
- Develop policies, procedures and workflows for unit activities.
- Manage supervisory positions that oversee student assistants.
- Collaborate with Reference, and other Public Service units across the library system, to ensure consistency in service.
- Provide oversight for stacks maintenance, including shelving, shelf-reading and collections adjustment.
- Under the direction of the Director of Learning & Research Services and in collaboration with others, will manage the recruitment, training and evaluation of full-time and part-time employees in the Access Services.
- Oversee staffing across three libraries; approve and manage all requests for leave and/or time off.
- Work with Library Systems staff to ensure quality and accuracy of patron records for all Access Services modules
- Report IT issues to appropriate staff, and ensure continuous operation of services during system down time, including evenings and weekends.
- Capture data related to Access Services, and analyze to determine trends & patterns and to inform policy.
- Work with Staff and Librarians on collection management projects.
- Answer general inquiries at the Commons Service Desk.
- Participate in relevant committees at the local, regional and national levels.
- Undergraduate degree, and at least five years of progressively responsible related experience in a university or library setting.
- At least two years of relevant supervisory experience is required.
- A holistic understanding of how library units integrate effectively with each other, experience working within a unionized environment and an exceptional customer service ethic are required.
- Prior experience working with Document Delivery software such as Relais, or WorldCat WMS Circulation and Reserves modules, would be an asset.
- Experience with emerging technologies, project management, change management and conflict resolution.
- Demonstrated excellence in communication, writing and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with University Employee Collective Agreements, New Brunswick Employment & Labour Act, and human resources is helpful.
- This position may be required to be available outside of regular office hours.
Closing date for applications, January 24, 2019 4:30PM. We thank all applicants for their interest but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of New Brunswick is committed to employment equity and fostering diversity within our community and developing an inclusive workplace that reflects the richness of the broader community that we serve. The University welcomes and encourages applications from all qualified individuals who will help us achieve our goals, including women, visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. Preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.