Work in Canada

employer with international studentUndergraduate Students

Full-time undergraduate international students at UNB with valid study permit are permitted to work on and off-campus unless otherwise noted on their study permits with the no IRCC regulations governing on-campus work.  Your study permit generally alllows you to work up to 20 hours per week during the fall and winter terms and full time during scheduled breaks . In order to continue being elgible you must have a valid study permit, be an enrolled full time student at UNB and be enrolled in an academic program that lleads to a degree. 

Graduate Students

Research-based graduate students are limited to working no more than 10 hours per week as per the School of Graduate Studies Employment Policy. Course-based graduate students may generally work 20 hours a week off-campus as per IRCC regulations.

Co-op Work Permit and Post-Graduation Work Permit

Co-op Work Permit

This permit allows international students to work (and get paid) during study period, while receiving program credits.  It is required for international students if they wish to complete a co-op work term(s) and can only be used for the co-op work term or placement.  It is free to apply for this permit.

To be eligible for a co-op work permit:

  • Student must have a valid study permit
  • The co-op must be an essential part of the student’s program of study
  • The co-op can’t form more than 50% of the total length of the program

To learn more about applying for a co-op work permit click here.

Post-graduation Work Permit

This is an open work permit that helps recent graduates gain work experience.  Student with valid work permits may work full-time upon application.  This permit can be issued for up to three years – but not longer than the program of study if shorter than two years.  Important to have a valid passport of 3 + years before applying.  The cost is currently $255.

To be eligible for a post-graduation work permit

  • Student must apply within 180 days of program completion, as long as study permit is or was valid at some point during that period of time
  • The student must have maintained full-time enrollment in all study terms; only an approved leave of absence is considered an exception
  • Completion of a program of at least 8 months (full-time)

To learn more about applying for a post-graduation work permit, click here.

Obtaining a Social Insurance Number (SIN)

In order to be paid at any job (off-campus or on-campus) you must have a Social Insurance Number (SIN). 

Instructions from Citizenship and Immigration Canada website:

You must have one of the following conditions or remarks printed on your study permit in order to apply for a SIN for off-campus work:

  • May work 20 hrs per week off-campus or full-time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section186(v) of IRPR
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria

If your study permit does not have one of the above conditions or remarks, you must submit a request for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN. There is no fee for this request.

If your study permit has: This permit does not permit the holder to engage in off campus employment in Canada, printed on it and you have changed your program of study, you must apply to change the conditions of your study permit and pay the applicable fee.

Check the Service Canada website for more information on how to apply for a Social Insurance Number. The nearest Service Canada Office at 1133 Regent Street.

Starting Your Job Search 

Career Development and Employment Centre

The Career Development and Employment Centre is located on campus in Neville Homestead.  The center provides a number of services and workshops to assist students with their job search.  For more information on job postings, workshops, career fairs and services to help you with your resume and interview skills - check the Career Development and Employment Centre.