Employment for Spouses

Do you need a work permit?

If you have arrived in Canada on a visitor's visa, come to the International Student Advisor's Office to find out how you can apply for an "open work permit."  For more information:  call 453-4860 or email us.

After you receive your work permit

Once you have your work permit you are eligible to receive a Social Insurance Number.  You will need this number in order to be paid in Canada, but it is also useful to have when you do your annual income tax.  You can apply for a Social Insurance Number through Service Canada.

Do you need assistance looking for a job?

The Multicultural Association of Fredericton provides free employment assistance to spouses of international students.  Services provided by the Employment Counsellors at the Multicultural Association include:

  • Current Labour Market Information
  • Links to local and regional employers
  • Strategic tools to assist you with a successful job search
  • Insights into the Canadian work culture       

For more information contact:  Multicultural Association of Fredericton, 123 York Street.  452-0651 or 476-6954