Inviting Family or Friends to Visit You in Canada

As an international student you may invite your family or friends to visit you in Canada whether the purpose of the trip is to attend your graduation, or just for vacation purposes.

The person(s) you wish to invite must apply for a visa at a Canadian Embassy or Consulate in their home country:

  • Click HERE for a list of Canadian Embassies/Consulates abroad.
  • Click HERE for Countries whose citizens do not require a Temporary Resident Visa to enter Canada.
  • Click HERE for information on the application process.

Supporting Documents:

The following is a list of documents you should send to your family or friends who wish to visit you in Canada.  Send these supporting documents directly to the person who is applying for the Temporary Resident Visa so that they can submit these documents with their application. 

1.  Letter of invitation written by you.  Your letter of invitation must include the following information about the person being invited:

  • Complete name
  • Date of birth
  • The person's address and telephone number
  • Your relationship to the person being invited
  • The purpose of the trip
  • How long the person you are inviting intends to stay in Canada
  • Details on accommodation and living expenses
  • The date the person you are inviting intends to leave Canada.

Your letter must also include the following information about yourself:

  • You complete name
  • Your date of birth
  • Your address and telephone number in Canada
  • Your occupation (student)

Please note that in some cases the letter may need to be notarized. That is if it is required by the visa office where your family is submitting their application.   Check with the International Student Advisor’s Office for information on how to get documents notarized.

2.  Photocopy of your study permit and a copy of your work permit if you have one.

3.  A letter to confirm your student status:  Graduate students contact the School of Graduate Studies for a letter to confirm your student status as well as your expected graduation date.  Undergraduate students contact the UNB Registrar's Office to request a letter to confirm your status at UNB and expected graduation date.  Please note, if you are emailing the Registrar's Office you must do this from your UNB email account and include: your full name, and student number.

4.  Proof of financial support if you are going to financially support your visitor you will also need to provide evidence of your ability to do this, e.g. recent bank statements showing that you have sufficient money spare for this purpose.

5.  Photocopy of your passport.

6.  A letter from UNB.  If you are inviting family or friends to attend your graduation you may request a  letter from the UNB Registrar's Office .  Please note:  UNB only provides letters for students who are graduating.


  • Your family and friends will be required to provide proof of economic and social ties in their home country. This means they would have to prove to Citizenship and Immigration Canada that their intention is to return to their home country after visiting Canada.
    • Examples of economic ties include:  Bank statements, proof of financial investments, letters of employment, proof of business and/or home ownership
    • Examples of social ties include:  Evidence that family members back at home depend on them for financial or other support, and that they must return home after their visit to Canada in order to meet their social obligations to these family members.
  • For more information on writing an Invitation Letter click HERE.