Documentation for Academic Support

Counsellors are here to support and help you succeed in your university years.  There may be times you need some consideration in a course.   Please speak with your professor first to see if they can accommodate any deferrals of assignments or missed class time.

The UNB University Wide Academic Regulations state:
"It is expected that most problems caused by a student's absence from classes, including absence from mid-term tests, can be resolved with the instructor concerned. If through sickness or other unavoidable cause, a student is absent from classes, the student must advise the instructors immediately upon return to classes. The instructor may request suitable documentation if such confirmation is considered necessary. Health certificates will be accepted for consideration only from the health care professional who attended the student during the period of absence."

In accordance with this regulation we cannot consider any request for documentation of absence or illness unless a student has spoken with their instructor first.  Nor can we provide documentation of absence or illness for students who were not seen at Counselling Services during the period of absence or illness.

If you need further support, please speak with your counsellor about the situation to see what they can provide.  If you have never been in to meet with a counsellor, it is difficult to provide support unless there are extenuating circumstances (ie. Illness in the family, recent traumatic event, etc.).

The Student Advocate, Wilfred Langmaid, is a front-line guide for students who have academic issues come their way, promoting academic success with timely advocacy, advice, assistance and referrals.  Contact via email -