New Faculty of Science Graduate Students

So, you got your Certificate of Acceptance from the School of Graduate Studies (SGS), now what?  

  1. Activate your IT Account - requires you've met all conditions of acceptance (ie: official transcripts/english language scores)
    • Go to
    • Click "MyUNB"
    • Select "Activate your IT Services"
    • Follow the directions on the screen using the Student Number from your certificate of acceptance and Login ID from the "What to do when you arrive on campus " page that came with it.
    • Email grad coordinator to have your new UNB email added to your file and the distribution list.
    • Set up your UNB wifi on your smartphone/computer, instructions here.
  2. Register for classes - you are responsible for registering every term for the duration of your grad program.
    • //
    • You must register in each term of your degree and make sure you're registered for your Thesis/Report and seminar course if applicable.
    • Once you register, BE SURE to click "Class Schedule" to verify that you have successfully registered in all your classes.
    • You must be registered in courses to receive a validation sticker on your student ID card!
    • If you need help navigating, use these sites:
  3. Student ID Card (UCard)
    • You obtain this from UNB Card Office, located in the Student Union Building, 21 Pacey Drive Room 106 (bldg # 65).  Bring your government issued photo ID and your UNB ID number.
  4. Open a Bank Account
    • Bring 2 forms of ID (drivers licence; passport; study permit) and your student ID.
    • Get a blank void cheque or form from your bank that includes your account information.
  5. Visit Financial Services & Human Resources
    • Take your Student ID Card/UCard and bank information to IUC Physics & Admin ground floor (bldg #33) to set up Tuition Fee payment, payroll, tax information and health coverage.  Just upstairs in HR, fill out the TD1 form, Authorization for Payroll Deductions form, go here to opt out of health/dental and go here to read how to opt out of the bus pass. Late arrivals should email Grad Coordinator to get copies of their funding forms to take with you.  *Must be registered. 
  6. Supervisory/Advisory Committee
    • Meet with your supervisor, and set up a Supervisory/Advisory Committee (your supervisor + 2-3 others) and complete the Program of Study form and submit to Grad Coordinator.
  7. Social Insurance Number(SIN) card (not required for Canadian students or those with their own funding)
    • Bring a copy of your Study Permit to Service Canada (633 Queen St) then bring your SIN back to the Grad Coordinator (room 109 bldg #33).
  8. Medicare (not required for Canadian students)
    • Students are responsible to pay the Emergency Health Insurance until they provide Financial Services with their Medicare card, information here.

International Students should check in with the International Student Advisors Office (bldg #14 CC Jones House).

All students should check out the available services here.