For information on the reimbursement of personal or travel expenses, please select one of the options from the sidebar menu.

Employees may also wish to read our reimbursement policy and procedures FAQ, found below.


Why do I need to fill out two different reimbursement forms - one for travel expenses and one for other personal expenses?

Having two separate forms instead of one will allow us to process your claims more efficiently. Travel expenses must be reported in detail, and as a result, a Travel Expense Claim Form is complex and takes time to audit. By separating this form from the other, we are able to process other personal expenses more quickly and more easily.

Why do I need a separate Hospitality Details form?

Hospitality expenses are now detailed on a separate form because there was not enough space on older versions of the Travel Expense Claim Form to provide sufficient detail. Hospitality is a broad category that can include anything from special meals to gifts. Some items claimed as employee hospitality expenses may be taxable benefits; for this reason, we need more details regarding the nature of the purchase and who received the benefit in order to stay compliant with Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) regulations.

Why does a director or dean need to sign my Hospitality Details form?

An analysis of hospitality expenses is currently being conducted by UNB administration, and a policy outlining the acceptable guidelines for various expenses will be developed in the near future. In the absence of such a policy, it is best for the approval of hospitality expenses to be raised to a higher level of accountability. The directors and deans that authorize these expenses will also be providing feedback on the proposed policy, along with members of the Vice President's Advisory Council and University Management Committee.

In a time of financial deficit, it is also important for everyone to have a clear idea of the amount of funds spent on hospitality expenses, as it is always an area under review and a source of concern for the public.

Do I have to provide the names of members of the public who attend an event on the Hospitality Details form?

Simply listing that "20 members of the public" were in attendance is sufficient. A copy of the announcement inviting the public to attend the event should also be attached. If employees were also present, then they should be listed as well in compliance with CRA taxable benefit regulations.

Do I need to list the names of all the students who attend an event on the Hospitality Details form?

Simply listing that "20 members of UNB Residence House X" were in attendance is sufficient. (Note: almost all expenses related to student residence activities are coded as Hospitality.) If employees were also present, then they should be listed as well in compliance with CRA taxable benefit regulations.

Many faculty are busy dealing with other administrative matters after they return from a trip. What is the justification for having a 20 business day limit on filing travel claims?

Most universities impose a 20 business day limit on filing travel claims due to accounting regulations that are put in place to ensure the timely reporting of financial information. Financial Services has an obligation to report university expenses on a timely basis in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles. At specific times during the year, external financial reports are required to be filed. The financial information included in these reports must be accurate and must reflect the expenditures that have been made up until that date. 

In the past, a large percentage of employees did not submit travel claims or receipts for personal reimbursement until months after the expenses were incurred, often not until the end of the fiscal year. Late submissions made it difficult for managers to compare their budgets with actual expenditures: in some cases, this led to overspending, which in turn caused more administrative work for departments and for Financial Services. In addition, postponing submissions until the end of the fiscal year caused a huge backlog in paperwork, which meant that Accounts Payable staff had to work overtime in order to process all the claims to meet year-end deadlines.

These complications can be avoided if travel claims and requests for personal reimbursement are submitted steadily throughout the year, within 20 business days of the employee's return, as per our policy. Requests for reimbursement that do not follow the 20 business day submission time frame are no longer subject to the processing standard of less than 20 business days, because claims that follow the policy will always be processed first.

Many field research projects last longer than 30 days. Why is the daily per meal allowance cut in half for these trips?

It is expected that employees on extended field work have arranged for weekly/monthly accommodations that include kitchen facilities. Preparing one's own food reduces the cost of meals, which is why employees on extended trips are given a lower daily meal allowance. For the first 30 days of their trip, employees are allowed to claim $45 per day for meals, or $1,350 in total; after that, they are allowed to claim $22.50 per day for meals, or $675 in total. This means that an employee could spend up to $2,025 on groceries over a period of two months, which should be more than sufficient to feed one person. 

Many UNB departments have been following this formula for years: for consistency, we have now made it part of our Travel Policy.

Do I need to file a claim if I return for a short time during extended travel?

If you return home for any length of time during extended travel, you must submit a claim for the travel expenses that you have incurred up until that point. This is because your second departure would be considered the start of a new trip for accounting purposes. At the end of this second trip, you would need to submit another travel claim to cover the cost of your latest expenses, and so on.

Please note that you can fill out your Travel Expense Claim Forms and Personal Reimbursement Forms while you are abroad, which would reduce the amount of time it takes to submit a claim when you return. If the details of your trip are known in advance, these forms could also be filled out prior to your departure: you would then only need to attach your receipts and have your forms signed upon your arrival home. If necessary, these forms can also be completed in transit and mailed in by courier for approval and processing.