Foreign Purchases

If an employee purchases goods from a foreign vendor, all documentation relating to the purchase and shipment of these goods must be retained by the department through which the purchase is being made for a period of seven years so that Canada Border Services Agency is able to access it upon request. This documentation includes a commercial invoice, a NAFTA free trade certificate and importation costs for all foreign goods purchased.

Imported goods also require customs clearance, which must be obtained by the university. UNB contracts a customs broker to assist with importing goods and has an insurance policy that covers goods in transit. For more information about making foreign purchases, please see section 7 of the Procurement Procedures document. 

Note: Foreign purchases may also require payment via foreign draft or wire transfer.