Vehicle Insurance

University-Owned Automobiles

The University of New Brunswick has a single automobile insurance policy that covers all licensed university-owned vehicles. This policy can be extended to cover leased and rented vehicles where the rental period is 30 or more consecutive days with the same vehicle. Coverage includes UNB students, post-doctoral fellows, employees, officers and directors authorized by their department or faculty to use vehicles for university business. Under this policy, there are no restrictions regarding the age of the driver, but he or she must have a driver's licence that is valid in Canada. Please note that volunteers and non-UNB personnel are not covered to drive UNB-owned or -leased vehicles.

To include a vehicle under this policy, contact the Director of Risk Management. Rented or leased vehicles will remain on the policy until notification is received from the department that the vehicle has been returned. If for any reason the original vehicle must be returned or changed during the rental/lease period, Risk Management must also be notified as soon as possible.

Premiums for this policy are paid by the department requesting coverage. Under this policy, both the collision and comprehensive deductibles are $250 each.


Does the university's vehicle insurance policy cover me if I use my personal vehicle for university business?

No. By law, automobile insurance is attached to a vehicle, not to the use of a vehicle. The mileage reimbursement rate employees are entitled to (see Travel) includes the cost of insurance. If you use your personal vehicle for university business, you should check with your insurance broker to ensure you are covered for this type of use and you should maintain at least $1 million in liability coverage ($2 million is recommended).

What should I do if a university vehicle has been damaged?

Each vehicle insured on the UNB policy is issued a small plastic folder that contains an insurance card and the vehicle registration. Instructions on what to do in case of an accident are attached to the inside of this folder.

Is an international driver's permit acceptable in lieu of a domestic driver's license?

Yes. However, proof of a clean driving record for the past three years will also be required.

Non-Owned Automobiles

Vehicles rented or leased for less than 31 days are not covered under the university-owned automobile insurance policy. Because rental agencies provide only a minimal amount of liability insurance, a non-owned automobile insurance policy that covers both liability and vehicle damage is maintained for vehicles rented in Canada and the US to protect the university's interests. This policy includes coverage for UNB students, post-doctoral fellows, employees and officers. Please note that volunteers and non-UNB personnel are not covered under this policy.

Please note that while UNB's non-owned automobile policy has no restrictions regarding the age of the driver, the agency's rental policies may.

The premium for this policy is paid out of the university's insurance budget. Departments are responsible for a $500 deductible in the event of a claim. Damage repairs in excess of the $500 deductible must be reported to the Director of Risk Management promptly as delays in notification may jeopardize a potential claim.

For additional coverage information, please see the summary of vehicle insurance coverage.


Can I rent directly from a third party such as Enterprise or National?

Yes. Whenever possible, the rental should be performed either through a UNB purchase order or an American Express Corporate Card. UNB's non-owned automobile insurance policy specifically states that coverage only applies to vehicles rented for use on university business, and a purchase order provides proof of this. It is important that the renter be covered under this policy so that the university's liability coverage is triggered should the rental agency's insurance policy not be sufficient to satisfy a claim in the event of an accident. 

The American Express Corporate Card provides collision damage and theft coverage without a deductible if the card is used for payment at the time of rental. However, this coverage is limited to card holders only: it does not cover employees who are not AMEX Corporate Card holders.

Do I need to purchase a collision damage waiver (CDW) or loss damage waiver (LDW) when renting a vehicle?

You do not need to purchase the CDW/LDW if the rental is in Canada or the US because the rental vehicle would be covered under the university's non-owned automobile collision damage coverage. However, under this policy, the employee's department is responsible for the lesser of a $500 deductible or the actual damage amount in the event of a claim. If the department does not want to risk having to pay a deductible, then the CDW/LDW coverage can be purchased from the rental company. However, the employ should check to see if the CDW/LDW coverage has a deductible. 

If the rental is not in Canada or the US, purchase of the additional coverage from the rental agency is recommended unless the renter is certain loss or damage is covered by the renter's credit card and a reasonable liability limit is maintained by the rental agency.

Does the university's non-owned automobile insurance policy still apply if I rent a car in another city?

Yes. However, most rental agencies located at airports will not accept a purchase order; in this situation, the renter is usually required to use a credit card. 

I have been asked to provide proof of non-owned automobile insurance: what do I do?

Contact Risk Management and they will assist in providing the appropriate certificate of insurance.

When should I return my rental vehicle?

Whenever possible, you are advised not to return a vehicle to the rental agency after it is closed, but to instead return it first thing in the morning on the following day during business hours. Some rental agencies allow this at no additional charge: please confirm this with your rental agency at the time of rental. A rental agency employee should also accompany you to the parking lot and perform a visual inspection of the vehicle before you leave the premises.

These recommendations follow from a number of instances where rental vehicles were returned to rental agencies after hours and damage was reported by the rental agencies the following day. Having no proof that the damage occurred after the vehicle was returned, the university was contractually obligated to cover the cost of damages, and individual departments were charged either for repairs or for insurance deductibles. 

What should I do if the vehicle I rented has been damaged?

If the damage is significant or if there are injuries, call 911. If the damage is minor, you should first inform the rental agency of the damage, and then notify Risk Management. You will be required to complete a Vehicle Damage Report for the university's insurer in addition to any report that may be required by the rental agency.