Emergency Out-of-Province Medical Coverage

This policy provides coverage to insured persons while they are travelling outside of their province of residence. It provides benefits for covered losses resulting from injury or sickness occurring during the first 45 consecutive days of a trip outside the province of residence (subject to all the exclusions, limitations and provisions stated in the policy). Coverage is accessed by calling the emergency phone numbers provided below.


Who is covered by this policy?

  • full- and part-time students (including student athletes)
  • full- and part-time employees not covered by Human Resources benefit plans
  • members of the Board of Governors
  • volunteers (e.g. assistant coaches)

What kind of expenses are covered?

  • prescription drugs
  • lab tests and X-rays 
  • out patient services provided by a hospital
  • dental work for accidentally injured teeth

Are there any restrictions or exclusions?

  • individuals must be residents of Canada and under the age of 80
  • pre-existing medical conditions are excluded
  • any sickness or injuries incurred while the person is under the influence of drugs, alcohol or other intoxicants will not be covered
  • any sickness or injury that, at the time of departure, might reasonably be expected to require treatment, surgery or hospitalization will not be covered
  • any treatment or surgery which reasonably could be delayed until the insured person returns to his or her province of residence will not be covered

Who should I contact in the event of a medical emergency?

Canada and US 1-800-626-2427
Elsewhere 0-713-267-2525 (collect)

Please state that you are covered under the American Home Assurance Company Policy# SRG 9114145. The insurer must be notified within 48 hours from the time of the incident. If the insurer is not informed, claims could be denied or only partially covered as a result.

For more information, please contact Risk Management.