Other Opportunities to Study Abroad

Can't find an existing exchange or internship that suits your needs? There are other ways to travel and learn!

Departmental Opportunities

Letter of Permission 

Departmental Opportunities

Some students may be able to take advantage of opportunities offered by their particular department such as international Coop and practicum placements. Please contact your department to find out more about these options.

Computer Science - International Coop Placements

International opportunities are available to computer science students to do coop placements in countries such as Poland, Germany and other locations. Please contact the department of Computer Science for inquiries.

Education - Advanced Practicum Block Placement in China

  • The Faculty of Education is pleased to offer eligible pre-service teachers the opportunity to complete their spring Advanced Practicum Block in China at schools teaching New Brunswick curricula. If you apply and are selected to take part in this option you would teach in either Beijing or Shenzhen. You would intern with Canadian teachers working in Kindergarten to Grade 12 classrooms. During the B.Ed. orientation in August, the Faculty will provide further information, including criteria for applying.

Engineering - International Coop Placements

International opportunities are available to engineering students to do coop placements in countries such as Germany, France and other locations. Please contact the Engineering Co-op Office at enggcoop@unb.ca for inquiries about international co-op opportunities.

Forestry- Transfor-M Dual degree Master program

The transatlantic forestry master dual degree program (TRANSFOR-M), which started in 2010, allows students to spend one year working on their degree in Canada and one year at a European institution. Students in the program will earn both a Canadian and a European master's degree in forestry and environmental management. Please contact Brigitte Leblon for more information.

Sciences - International Coop Placements

International opportunities are available to some science students to do coop placements abroad. Please contact scicoop@unb.ca for international co-op opportunities in the sciences.


Letter of Permission

Students who would like to attend a host institution that is not one of UNB's existing partners may be eligible to study under a letter of permission. Essentially, UNB may provide students with permission to take pre-approved courses at another institution and transfer the credit back to their UNB degree. This can often be done at other Canadian institutions and internationally. The difference between a Letter of Permission and an Exchange is that it is up to the student to research, apply, and pay for any and all fees associated with their time abroad (I.e. Students pay full tuition to the host institution, not to UNB). If you are considering seeking a Letter of Permission you should get in touch with your faculty advisor and the Registrar's Office to determine whether you are eligible and if your proposed host institution is acceptable.