In order to apply to co-op placements you require a strong cover letter and resume that will catch the eye of potential future employers. Our Workshops are scheduled in September and January so you can learn the key elements that employers will be looking for and help you prepare your resume and cover letter.
Your cover letter is where you will introduce yourself and your skills to potential employers and answer 'What's in it for them? What's in it for you'. Employers will appreciate your ability to express how they can help you explore and develop your career interests and how you fit into their organization.
Resume preparation can be a confusing and frusterating topic. The key to success is focusing on what employers typically look for while developing a list of canidates for interviews. Below are some suggestions:
- The layout should be simple, professional and attractive.
- You have matched your relevant skills and experience to the opportunity.
- Be clear and concise. Use short, bullet point sentences to make it easy to read while still being informative.
- Emphasize all personal and transferable skills and not just your knowledge base.
- Focus on your accomplishments and results of what you have done, not the duties and responsibilities of what you are suppose to do.
If you'd like to book an appointment with someone in the co-op office to discuss your resume, please login to e2o on my.unb.ca