Continuing Education and Programs for Part-Time Students
The following types of programs and services are offered through the UNB College of Extended Learning (CEL). Further information is available through the Fall/Winter and Summer Term schedules published by CEL, as well as its website (//www.unb.ca/cel/)
- Part-time Degree and Certificate Courses: Credit courses are offered in many disciplines that can be applied towards a variety of degree programs or certificate programs (e.g. Applied Behaviour Analysis Certificate, Certificate in Family Violence Issues; Certificate in Administration; Certificate in Leadership Studies; Certificate in Adult Education). UNB’s degree completion program, the Bachelor of Integrated Studies (BIS) offered in partnership with UNB’s Renaissance College and the College of Extended Learning, is designed for adult learners and part-time study. Academic sessions are offered throughout the calendar year, and part-time students can elect to take courses on campus or online according to their interests and needs. Responsibility for the degree/certificate courses rests with the respective academic units, which are also responsible for the academic advising. The academic advising for Bachelor of Integrated Studies students and students not enrolled in a specific program rests with the College of Extended Learning.
- Non-Degree Certificates and Workshops<: The College of Extended Learning offers a number of specialized certificate programs to enhance career and personal achievement. Professional development certificate programs include Management Development; Certificate in Management Essentials, Human Resources Management; Project Management; and Occupational Health and Safety. The College offers various seminars on management and leadership, human resources, project management, workplace health and wellness, conflict resolution, and behavioural intervention and autism. A wide range of courses are offered that are designed to enhance the personal and cultural enrichment of learners including leisure learning courses in writing and literature, photography, painting and drawing, languages, food and wine, and technology as well as Design Works March Break and summer programs for youth.
- Online Courses: CEL, in partnership with departments and faculties, administers a variety of online courses for academic credit. CEL also offers professional development programs online.
- Visual Arts and Music: The UNB Art Centre and the Centre for Musical Arts offer a variety of participation and learning (credit and non-credit) opportunities to UNB students and community members. See Fine Arts section for further detail.
- Financial Assistant: Advice and information, bursaries and scholarships for part-time students is offered through the College of Extended Learning (506) 447-3449.
- Adult Learner Services: Advice and Information for adults considering or enrolled in academic studies at UNB (506) 447-3449.
- Prior Learning Assessment: In some circumstances, students/potential students may have attained university-level learning through means other than formal university courses. Information and guidelines related to UNB’s Prior Learning Assessment policy are available to students, prospective students and faculty from CEL (506) 458-7976. See Section B for additional details.
- Adult Learners and Part-time Students (ALPS): ALPS, UNB’s student union for part-time undergraduate students, was established to respond to these student’s unique concerns and issues, to provide a support network, to help create an enriched University environment, and to act as an advocate for all part-time and undergraduate students.