UNB Saint John campus history

The 1990's

Oland Hall grand opening, 1992

1991

  • Construction of new academic building begins.
  • Co-op Bachelor of Business Administration Program begins.
  • $2 million fundraising campaign for first on-campus residence launched.

1992

  • Residence fundraising campaign reaches goal. Sod turned at 18th Spring Convocation in May.
  • Academic reorganization sees creation of three faculties – Arts, Business and Science, Applied Science and Engineering.
  • First full-fledged Masters program, in psychology, is announced.
  • New academic building, Philip W. Oland Hall, is opened.

1993

1994

  • Dr. Rick Miner named fourth Vice-President.
  • Alumni organize first all-alumni reunion

1995

  • Faculty of Business awarded UNB Saint John’s first major CIDA grant for $1.2 million project in Vietnam.

1996

  • First Research Chair, in Management of Technological Change, established through university’s major fundraiser, the Venture Campaign.

1997

  • Electronic Commerce Centre opens.
  • First business Electronic Commerce program in Canada established.
  • Cost-recovery MBA enrols first class of 20 students.
  • International student enrolment reaches 100.
  • Full-time enrolment reaches 2,000.
  • Ground broken for new biology, engineering and nursing building, K.C. Irving Hall.

1998

  • Total value of UNB Saint John CIDA projects reaches $10.3 million.
  • The Quiet Campus, a history of the early years of UNB Saint John (1959-1969) is published.
  • President of the Republic of Ireland, Mary McAleese, visits the campus.

1999

  • K.C. Irving Hall opens for classes at beginning of winter term.
  • UNB Saint John hosts world’s first Electronic Commerce International Case Competition for graduate students. Host team takes third place.
  • UNB Saint John’s 4,000th alumnus receives a degree;
  • UNB Saint John begins to offer its BBA program full-time in China, at Beijing Concord College of Sino-Canada.