About Hans W. Klohn

Hans W. Klohn was born in Kiel, Germany. In 1952 he moved to Saint John, N.B. to work on the Irving Pulp and Paper Mill expansion project. His engineering skills and exemplary leadership abilities were quickly recognized by K.C. Irving, who named Mr. Klohn manager of this project.

In 1955 he was named the first president of Ocean Steel and Construction Limited (OSCO). Under his leadership the company saw rapid growth.  From Newfoundland, and along the eastern Atlantic seaboard to New York City, Mr. Klohn has applied his engineering and construction abilities where we drive, work and live. The Queen’s Court building in Halifax, N.S.; the N.B. Power Generating Station in Belledune, N.B.; the Saint John Harbour Bridge; Harbour Station; and the Saint John Regional Hospital are just a few examples of construction projects overseen by Mr. Klohn.

In addition, he played a pivotal role in bringing John E. (Jack) and Arthur Irving's project to restore the Old Burial Ground in Saint John to completion. Mr. Klohn was named one of only three Honorary Life Members to the Saint John Construction Association in 2002. His commitment to community development has been consistent with Ocean Steel's involvement in various charities and support of education, including: the Boys and Girls Club of Saint John, Inc.; Romero House; Children’s Wish Foundation and a bursary program for the children of Irving company employees. Mr. Klohn took a keen interest in all aspects of the construction of the K.C. Irving Hall on UNB's Saint John campus, and has lent his expertise in the development of its Commons Project. Mr. Klohn's four children and three of his grandchildren are graduates of UNB.