Most MBA programs require a four-year undergraduate degree. However, the University of New Brunswick Saint John offers anyone with a three-year* Bachelor degree the opportunity to take our MBA qualifying year to address any potential gaps.
This program is also suitable for those students whose undergraduate Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) is below the 3.0 requirement and who want to upgrade their marks before applying to graduate school.
*Applicants with a three-year honours degree are eligible to apply for the MBA Program without the fourth year of study.
Three-year undergraduate degree applicants require:
- a Bachelor degree requiring at least three-year’s study
- an undergraduate CGPA of 3.0 on a 4.3 scale, or B
- a Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 550, or the equivalent
- two years' consecutive relevant work experience prior to start date
- a GMAT score if their cumulative GPA over the four years of study is below 3.2
Applicants with a four-year Bachelor's CGPA below 3.0 will need to meet the above TOEFL, GMAT and work experience requirements.
To determine the GPA required during the Qualifying Year the MBA program will calculate an average of the final year of study at the home university and the Qualifying Year at UNB Saint John.
If this average is 3.0 or above, you are eligible to apply to the MBA Program.
During the qualifying year you will:
- take a full load of upper level undergraduate business courses
- prepare for and write the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) if required
- write the TOEFL, if required
Upon completion of the qualifying year, you have the opportunity to prepare and submit your application for 2015-2016 admission to the MBA program.
Your application will be assessed on the following criteria:
- a minimum score of at least 550 on the GMAT, if required
- a CGPA of at least 3.0 or B between the MBA qualifying year and the final year of your undergraduate degree
- a minimum score of 580 on the TOEFL, or the equivalent, if required
- all other stated requirements for admission to the MBA Program
The MBA Qualifying Year application deadline is June 1. Download the application form.