Richard K. Cho, PhD
Richard K. Cho is Associate Professor in the Faculty of Business in the Operations and Information Management (OIM) Area.
Dr. Cho received his Ph.D. in Management Sciences from the University of Waterloo (2002), an M.Sc. in Management Sciences from the Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology (1987), and a B.Sc. in Industrial Engineering from Seoul National University (, 1985).
Earlier in his career, Dr. Cho worked for Samsung Electronics as a software engineer and a marketing analyst for overseas markets. While there, he participated in a cooperative development project for DRAM products among Korean semi-conductor companies (mainly Samsung, LG and Hyundai). He has also been involved in a variety of other business ventures and ran his own business in Korea. Prior to joining UNB Saint John, Dr. Cho taught at Wilfrid Laurier University in Ontario, and at the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University in Indiana, USA.
Dr. Cho has a record of extensive service with the Faculty and the University. He has been a main faculty advisor of the Golden Key International Honour Society, UNB Saint John Chapter since 2005. He has been a senator since 2006, and he has served as the chair of the Senate Admission Committee and as the member of several senate committee such as student appeals committee, curriculum committee, and non-credit curriculum committee. He has been an OIM group representative for the faculty curriculum committee and a member of Graduate Academic Unit.
Dr. Cho teaches courses in Supply Chain Management & Logistics (BA 4653), Production & Operations Management (BA 3653), Management Sciences (BA 3623), and Business Decision Analysis (BA1605 & BA2606) at the undergraduate level. He also teaches Operations and Information Management courses in the MBA program. Dr. Cho’s research encompasses the supply chain management, logistics, inventory and game theory. He received two SSHRC (The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council) research grants in 2008, and has published research papers in top peer-reviewed journals such as Operations Research, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, International Journal of Production Economics, IIE Transactions, and European Journal of Operational Research.
He regularly reviews journal papers, SSHRC & NSERC grant applications and textbooks. In 2011, he served on the national adjudication committee for SSHRC’s first round of the Insight Development Grants funding (in the area of Business and Management, Economics and related fields).
Dr. Cho joined the Faculty of Business in 2005.
Peer-reviewed journal articles
- Lee, JY, R.K.Cho, SK Paik (2015), "Supply chain coordination in vendor-managed inventory systems with stockout-cost sharing under limited storage capacity," European Journal of Operational Research, In Press.
- Contracting for vendor-managed inventory with consignment stock and stockout-cost sharing. International Journal of Production Econdomics, Vol. 151, (2014). pp.158-173 (with J. Lee)
- The Effect of VMI on Supplier’s Profit with Multiple-Retailers, The Conference Proceedings in the ASAC Annual Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia (May 2008)
- An Approach to Securely Identifying Beneficial Collaboration in Decentralized Logistics Systems, Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, 10:1, (2008), pp. 108-125 (with C. Clifton, A. Iyer, W. Jiang, M. Kantarcıoglu and J. Vaidya)
- Efficient Supply Chain Management at the U.S. Coast Guard Using Part-Age Dependent Supply Replenishment Policies, Operations Research, 54:6, (2006), pp. 1028-1040 (with A. Iyer and V. Dashpande)
- The Effect of VMI on the Profit of a Supplier with Multiple-Retailers under Supplier's Capacity Limitation, the conference proceedings in SCM Symposium, Toronto, ON. Canada. (2006) (with G. Oh)
- Coordination of Quantity and Shelf-Retention Timing in Video Movie Rental Industry, IIE Transactions, 38:7, (2006), pp. 525–536 (with Y. Gerchak and S. Ray)
- Supply Chain Coordination with Downstream Operating Costs: Coordination and Investment to Improve Downstream Operating Efficiency, European Journal of Operational Research, 162:3, (2005), pp. 762-772 (with Y. Gerchak)
- Value of Information to a Group of Decision Makers with Different Priors, Socio-Economic Planning Sciences 35:2, (2001), pp. 125-130 (with Y. Gerchak)
- How To Examine Courses Related To Students' Retention, International Conference on Applied & Theoretical Information Systems Research, Taipei, Taiwan, Nov. 2013
- Examining courses that are related to students' attrition/retention, Fall Research Seminar of The Korea Society of Management Information System (Subject: Fusion and Innovation of Informatics for Creative Economy in IoT Age), Seoul, Korea, Nov. 2013
- Contracting for VMI with Stockout-Cost Sharing, CORS/MOPGP Joint Annual Conference, Niagara Falls, Ontario, June 2012
- VMI (Vendor Managed Inventory) Contract with Cost Sharing, HIC on Business, Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A., May 2011
- Optimization of Cattle Size in the Dairy Farm, with a Milk Quota Constraint, MITACS/CORS Joint Annual Conference, Edmonton, Alberta, May 2010
- VMI Model with Single Manufacturer and Two Heterogeneous Retailers, CORS/ INFORMS Joint International Meeting, Toronto, Ontario, June 2009
- The Effect of VMI on Supplier’s Profit with Multiple-Retailers, The Conference Proceedings in the ASAC Annual Conference, Halifax, Nova Scotia, May 2008
- Coordination of Quantity and Shelf-Retention Timing in Video Movie Rental Industry, IIE Annual Meeting, Vancouver, British Columbia, May 2008
- How Much Should We Filter Spam Mails?, Canadian Operational Research Society, London, Ontario, May 2007
- The Effect of the Inventory Reduction Level on the Supply Chain Profit Under the VMI Contract, INFORMS Annual Meeting 2006, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., Nov. 2006
- Determining the Optimal Level of Filtering Spam Mails, INFORMS Annual Meeting 2006, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, U.S.A., Nov. 2006
- The Effect of VMI on the profit of a Supplier with Multiple-Retailers Under Supplier’s Capacity Limitation, Fourth Annual Symposium on Supply Chain Management, Toronto, Ontario, Oct. 2006
- An Effect of VMI on Multiple-Retailers with Different Inventory Policy (Session TB7-1), Canadian Operational Research Society, Montreal, Quebec, May 2006
- A Newsvendor with Multiple Suppliers (Session SC24), INFORMS Annual Meeting, Miami Beach, Florida, U.S.A., Nov. 2001
- Cost Allocation in Vehicle Routing Problems (Session LU-A7), Canadian Operational Research Society, Quebec City, May 2001 (with J. Bookbinder)
- Selling to a Newsvendor Who Incurs Operating Costs (Session SB04), Invited Session on Logistics Modeling and Analysis, INFORMS Annual Meeting, San Antonio, Texas, U.S.A., Nov. 2000 (with Y. Gerchak)
- Value of Information to a Group of Decision Makers (Session WD01), INFORMS-KORMS Seoul 2000 Conference, Seoul, Korea, June 2000 (with Y. Gerchak)
Textbook (manuscript) reviews
- Doane & Seward. Applied Statistics in Business & Economics (First Canadian edition), McGraw-Hill Ryerson Limited (2008)
- Stevenson & Hojati. Operations Management (4th Canadian edition), McGraw-Hill Ryerson Limited (2009)
Phone: (506) 653-2042
Office Location: 220 Oland Hall